Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best degreaser for your outdoor kitchen?

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927
My outdoor kitchen consists of my kamado, double gas burner, flat-top griddle, sink, and pizza oven.  It's all set into a granite countertop.  Because I never fry indoors, my griddle and gas burner (cast iron skillet) see quite a bit of frying and it seems like there always grease on the granite countertop.  Once every couple of months I hit everything pretty hard with Easy Off Oven Cleaner, but in between those deep cleans I haven't found anything that really wipes out the grease.  What do you guys use? None of the stuff that I have used has really worked.  I appreciate the help.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I thought it was a fair question boys.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hub said:
    I thought it was a fair question boys.
    I agree and I'm sure others here do as well! Be patient grasshopper!  (But if you don't know what Be patient grasshopper! means - it is NOT an insult!)

Personally I have destroyed a few things using Easy Off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I used this on my stainless gasser and on the occasional granite top when my customers would get a stubborn stain.  

One thing I would mention with your granite counter is the oven cleaner has removed any sealer that had been applied previously. If you apply a really good impregnating sealer if will help keep the grease from absorbing into the surface pores and ease the clean up. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I use hot water and ammonia. Seems to work great. You can buy a gallon of ammonia for less than a buck at Dollar General and Family Dollar. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Simple green here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I don’t have an outdoor granite countertop but easy off doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.  I’d say start with regular dish soap+water and finish with daily granite.

Options
    paqman said:
    I don’t have an outdoor granite countertop but easy off doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.  I’d say start with regular dish soap+water and finish with daily granite.
    This, try Dawn dish soap. Cuts through grease pretty good
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I would not be using Lye (Easy-Off) on your stone granite counters. No acids either. That's crazy. Dawn dish soap and warm water is all you need. If you have anything stubborn then a razor blade is more than sufficient. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
     What about getting egg grease out of concrete?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SGH
    Options
    Muriatic acid. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    SGH said:
    Muriatic acid. 
      I assume you mean deluted? We loved the look of used paver bricks and selected them for our exterior as no 2 bricks look alike! These bricks were already over 200 years old and now adding the age of our home they are 250 years old. On our back side I placed our eggs plus that popular gas fired griddle which pops grease on that brick wall like crazy! Are you sure straight muriatic acid won’t be damaging to my old brick and the mortar between them?! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Yes dilute it. My apologies for not being more specific. The ratio is 10 to 1. Give or take a little either way. 

Status- Standing by.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thank you @SGH
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oxalic acid.  Get the spray Barkeeper's Friend or Star Brite.   This stuff is magic.  Also, way safer and less fumes than hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid).  Don't use any acid on marble, if you do, must be very dilute or a weak acid like acetic.
    Options
    I appreciate the suggestions.  To clarify, I use Easy Off on the burners/griddle and I let it set for several minutes before I scrub.  I've occasionally sprayed a very light mist on the granite and then immediately scrubbed it with a wet, soapy rag.  Based on what I've read here, I will stop doing that.  
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Dawn is simply the best degreaser available. Not just in the kitchen, but it's also what highway crews use when a tanker truck full of lard spills its load. Amazingly effective stuff.

But 99% of the time I get by with a 50/50 solution of Simple Green.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Maybe Dawn and a plastic scrubbie?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories