Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 hour jerky?

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I cut up some jerky and placed it in the fridge marinating in River City Jerky (from GFW's site). I intended to get it started in Mr. Big early this morning. Needless to say, I was not able to start it this morning and I won't be home until 3:00 pm this afternoon. Is that too late in the day to start a small load of jerky? If started at 3:00, is it possible to have it done by 8:00 or 9:00? I don't want to waste it because it's back to work tomorrow. This is my first jerky cook.[p]Happy Easter everyone.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BeefJerky02.jpg
    <p />Carl T, start it when you can - there is a copy of a post from Bryan on my site - he did it over two days - when I use my multilevel grid, it also takes less time - last time I did it in about 6 hours - toward the end I let the temp creep up to about 275. Good Luck and Happy Easter! :~}

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    View?u=1263961&a=9351385&p=41879735
    <p />Carl T, I hang mine instead of laying it out on a grate..
    It takes me between 4 to 6 hours this way, depends on how the charcoal burns....
    Go ahead and put it on at 3:00.....just don`t crank the heat up too much, you`ll end up cooking it instead of drying it....
    If worse comes to worse put in in your oven for an hour or so to finish if it`s getting near bed time.
    I do that all the time to good results..[p]Mop!