Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket by myself, a few questions, please help :)

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, while Nathan is in VA today I am smoking a 15 lb. brisket on my own. It barely fits in my Large and I have a couple of questions.[p]I've got it on with my brand spankin new plate setter, dome temp at 300°, drip pan underneath, got the wood chips in and it's going right now with some fatties on a raised grid above it.[p]•First, where do I put the thermomether? The point side ( I think it's the point) is really thick so I am assuming it will take longer, should I put it there? or in the flat?[p]•Secondly, if I put the thermometer in the flat do I seperate the point and flat when the flat is done cooking and wrap in foil?[p]•Finally, was I right to put it fat cap side up? I did the rub overnight with a layer of sugar on top of it.[p]Here's my pic of it going on.... I will take more later.
brisket.jpg[p]Here is the pic of the fatties going on as well.
fatties.jpg

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mojopin,[p] What are the rectangle things in the Aluminum foil? You cooking bricks too?[p] If you got a plate setter you don't need bricks.
  • mojopin
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]hehe... the Extended grid from BGE wouldn't fit around the brisket, so I improvised and put a grid from my toaster oven on top of the bricks over the brisket. I tried to use my extra grid first, which is what the fatties are on in the pic, but after taking the pic I couldn't close the darn lid. So I grabbed the toaster oven rack.[p]-Jill
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mojopin,[p] You need a second Egg... You see what doesn't fit in my XL will surely fit in one of the two larges or Miss Penny.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Hi Jill,
    I say flip that baby over and read the brisket chapter in your Dr. BBQ book.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    mojopin, First that is a big packer for the egg. I suggest flipping the brisket over, fat cap down. This will protect the bottom from drying out. And, I suggest turning down the heat to maybe 250 dome temp. This should give you 225 or so grid temp. Thermometer goes in the flat and you have two options on cooking: [p]First, around 165-170 internal temp, you can separate the flat from the point. Foil the flat. Continue to cook the point and foiled flat to 195 internal. When finished place in a cooler for an hour or two. There is a good chance the flat gets done first. Or make burnt ends out of the point, google brisket burnt ends for more info.[p]Second, keep the flat and point together until the flat reaches 195, then separate flat and point and continue to cook the point until 195 or make burnt ends. cooler flat for couple hours. [p]Here is a link on separting the flat and point. If it was a select grade brisket, I'd opt for foiling and burnt ends. Reason being this is your first shot at brisket and it should improve your odds for better product. You can add a 1/3 cup or so of beef broth to the foiled point if you like. Tom
    [ul][li]http://www.azbbqa.com/articles/brisket-trim.htm[/ul]
  • mojopin
    Options
    drbbq,[p]LMAO........You're going to make me READ? [p]
    -Jill

• mojopin
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]Thanks, I'm going to go flip it now as per yours and drbbq's direction.[p]:)
    -Jill

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    mojopin, I always separate the point and flat at the start of my cook just because the big ones won't fit on my large to start with. I put the thermo in the flat and when it's getting close "190°" I start checking the point. I've only done two but there were no leftovers.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mojopin,
    not to challenge the experts (especially drbbq, ray's probably forgotten more about good bbq than i'll ever know), but i have to challenge the 'fat cap down' assertion. . .[p]we had this discussion here on the forum a few weeks ago. ..[p]in a big green egg, we all know from experience that with an indirect set-up that the heat is greater the higher in the dome you go from the radiant heat going up the sides and coming down off the dome. .. we know that temps are as much as 30 degrees higher up in the dome than at the grid level when grid is sitting over the inverted plate setter. .. so doesn't it stand to reason that a fat cap up protects the meat better than fat cap down? . . .[p]beleive me, this is more of question than an outright assertion on my part. . .but given the difference in temps between dome and grid, it sure makes sense to me. . .i always do my packer briskets fat side up in the egg. . .[p]either way though, it oughta be good. ..

• Sandbagger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, I prefer the fat cap protect me from 1000 degrees rising than 250 degrees descending...ok, 1000 might be a stretch, but the higher temps will be lower in the egg, where the fuel source is....but then I'm a couple beers into the next beer and I reserve the right to…have another beer.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    how can you have that much heat rising through the plate setter and still have the grid temp be lower than the dome temp? . . .honestly, i don't get it . . .