Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about the Large BGE 5 Piece Eggspander and the Half Moon Accesories

Options
Sicilian
Sicilian Posts: 23
edited February 2021 in EggHead Forum
I’ve  just acquired the 5 Piece Eggspander. I see a number of people are using the half moon ceramic “pizza” stone in their setups for partial indirect cooking.  Since you don’t really cook anything directly on the surface of the half moon stone why couldn’t you use one (or two) of the half moon cast iron Planchas  as a dual purpose accessory?  It could be used as a deflector when needed and as a grilling surface when needed, or both at the same time. They make cast iron platesetters to replace the Conveggtor. I’m all about simplicity and saving a little $$. Am I missing something?

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Yes that would work. 

I have cooked directly on my half stone biscuits, meat pies, pigs in a blanket....

You will like the eggspander, have fun

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Sicilian
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Yes that would work. 

I have cooked directly on my half stone biscuits, meat pies, pigs in a blanket....

You will like the eggspander, have fun

I look forward to it, Thanks
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I dont have the Eggspander but instead the PSWOO with half moons.  70% of my cooks use 1 half moon for direct/ indirect.  I had bought both half moons to get a full diffusion but I found it really chokes down airflow.  For awhile I just overlapped them a bit in the middle, but I broke down and bought the oval stone that does a better job without the restriction.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I have a different setup - with a swing grate on a XXL - but I use cast iron as a heat blocker to roast steaks, then swing them out of the way with the lid open to let the cast iron heat up, then seat them on cast iron.  Works great.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX