Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast Still Good?

Options
Some time ago, I bought a chuck roast. It's cryovac'd. Put it in the freezer for future use. About 3 weeks ago, I moved it to the fridge to defrost for chili. Never got around to using it. Is this still safe to eat? As I understand it, I have essentially been wet aging it, no? Not concerned with the debate over wet vs dry aging, I just want to know if I should toss it or cook it. Haven't opened it to smell yet. What say you? Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Only one way to find out. If you can keep your lunch down after cracking it open, then cook it. 

Might be prudent to have a backup plan for whatever meal you’re planning this for, just in case things don’t seem right when you’re cooking it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My guess is that it's probably fine, Michael.  But I agree with @caliking - if it smells funky, don't let it near your monkey!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    As noted, as long as the cryovac is completely in tact then you are in great shape.  I would bet there is no funk but if there is...when in doubt, throw it out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Agree with the smell test, however, I'd suggest try smelling other stuff (strong cheese?) first to confirm you didn't lose your sense of smell  ;)  jk 
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks very much, guys. I appreciate the advice. I'll give it a shot - unless it smells rotten when I open it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I agree with the above...the nose knows..

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    Options
    To clarify, the smell/stench doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s “unsafe” to consume. 

But, it is challenging to proceed with a cook, when you first have to clear the vomitus from your nose. 

• PigBeanUs
    Options
    To clarify: food can smell fine and be unsafe

that was my point, at least. 

It’s pretty obvious that gag-inducing smells are bad

but off smells aren’t necessarily bad

pork in cryo, for example

the big point tho was that just because it doesn’t smell bad it doesn’t mean it’s good

the nose only knows when it’s patently obvious
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    It's still fine.  I've gone 4 weeks on cryo briskets multiple times.  Other than the time the cryo inflated like a balloon, all turned out well.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI