Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Throwback to Childhood

Everybody is making a mad dash to the grocery store and gas stations now that snowmaggedon is winding down here in Texas. But hey, I trained for this in 2020. 
So to avoid going to the store (haven’t been in 10 days) we decided to make tuna casserole for dinner. This was just a, “Hey, we’ve got tuna and noodles and stuff - let’s make a casserole.”

I can honestly say I probably haven’t eaten this since the late sixties as a kid. We went all out and had Texas sheet cake too. 

I suggested that my wife put on a frilly apron along with heels and pearls to serve it to me. Well, that didn’t work out. I couldn’t even get her to make me a Manhattan. What’s the world coming to?

We drug out my 1956 copy of Betty Crocker’s Cookbook to make sure we did it right. I don’t think this is a flavor profile I’ll crave again any time soon but it was fun and nostalgic. 

I may set this out for her to read later. If I don’t respond on the forum for a few days you might check in on me. 

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Classic.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Fun way to stay out of the store!  I totally understand about it not being a craved taste. My daughter would ask for that once a week back when she 13-14.  I’ve not craved it since. Lol. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    @SciAggie - that is definitely making the (al)most best of the situation and spinning it in a true positive vein.  Can't touch the creativity right there.  Extremely well-played.
    BTW- next time see if a complicated bourbon on the rocks will gain any traction  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    nice cook on the casserole  . . . but the cake flung a craven on me!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited February 2021
    That's a hotdish where I come from -- and boy do I miss all the potlucks that featured that and countless others similar to it. That looks wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I could easily do with a big helping of that. 

Do you have extra copies of that tips sheet? I just want to see caliqueen's face when she gets to the "make him comfortable" section. From afar, of course. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • That's a hotdish where I come from -- and boy do I miss all the potlucks that featured that and countless others similar to it. That looks wonderful.
    I automatically looked at your signature line to see if you were from Minnesota when I read “hot dish.” 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I loved tuna casserole as a child and poor college student. I would still eat a plate full and he happy. Well done. Thanks for sharing! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Yum! I love a casserole. And Texas sheet cake is so so good. Stay warm!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle