Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for recommendations on an infrared thermometer.....

Options
...that is good for both surface temps (e.g., pizza stone) and body temps. 

Please and thank you. 

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I am happy with the ThermoWorks product shown below.  It has the selectable emissivity mentioned by Canugghead.  Note that I have not used mine for body temps.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks guys. This is why I love this group. Was discussing getting one with my wife and I said “I know just the guys.”
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I haven't had to recharge my Dewalt IR gun since I first charged it, years ago (12v lithium battery) and it's showing full bars.

All kinds of features, great backlighting.  Reasonably priced.
    Options
    I haven't had to recharge my Dewalt IR gun since I first charged it, years ago (12v lithium battery) and it's showing full bars.

All kinds of features, great backlighting.  Reasonably priced.
    your cats need more exercise  =)
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I suggest you get two separate thermos.
    The ones that are sold for non-contact human temp reading are optimized for reading in a much narrower range with a tighter tolerance. You can get them pretty cheap:

One for use with pizza stone will need to read a much broader range and top end. As a result they have a much larger accuracy tolerance (less accurate) but for pizza that's not going to make any difference.
    I'd definitely get one that projects a laser pattern so you can see the area that is being read and one that has as narrow a distance to spot ratio as possible something at least 12:1.
    They all seem to come with variable emissivity these days but I wouldn't bother with that. The default setting seems to be 0.95 and if you look at an emissivity table the values for ceramic, concrete, brick, and most similar materials is all right in the same mid-90's range. Humans are in the 0.95-0.98 range.
    As with any of these IR thermos they're just going to give you a reasonable ballpark temp. If you really want to know with better certainty what the temp of your pizza stone is get a Type K surface temp probe and a Type K thermo. You can get an angled surface probe for $20 and a simple Type K thermo for about the same.
    There are some IR thermos that also have a jack for Type K sensors but they are a bit more expensive.
    Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $30-ish for an IR thermo for a pizza stone reading. You're just looking for a ballpark temp and an idea as to how the temp varies from one part of the stone to the other.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk