Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruth's Chris - no longer dry aging

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
edited February 2021 in EggHead Forum
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• tl;dr - cost.  They did it to save $
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    tl;dr - cost.  They did it to save $
    "she chose wet-aged steaks over dry-aged for the sake of consistency, time, and cost."

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    "she chose wet-aged steaks over dry-aged for the sake of consistency, time, and cost."

In the restaurant business, those three things all boil down to the same thing - $.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    lkapigian said:

In the restaurant business, those three things all boil down to the same thing - $.  

Yup, at the end of the day cost/benefit ratio....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2021
    Reasons listed:
    1. Less weight loss (i.e. water),
    2. Less loss to trimmings
    3. Smaller space requirements for wet aging.
    4. Less control required (just temp, no humidity)
    5.  No "master butcher" required to oversee the process.

Nothing related to flavor was discussed, just tenderness.  I agree with JIC assessment, this was a cost and not quality decision.  Kind of a bummer in my mind.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2021
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Yup, at the end of the day cost/benefit ratio....
    That is too bad.  I have never had a chance to eat there (none near me) but has been on my desire list.  Now it isn't.  Just like any other steakhouse.  I suspect I am not their target market though.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited February 2021
    We are very fortunate to have a high-end steakhouse here in Durham.  They routinely have dry-aged items available, including Wagyu.  If I want to take a visitor out for an excellent steak, that's where I go.  There is also the Angus Barn out near Raleigh, where I've had some incredible meals.

So I haven't been to a Ruth Chris place, and probably never will.    
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SciAggie 's restraunt is on my desired list though!  Wood fired and dry-aged.
    I started to say I solved their problem, lol. You’re welcome any time. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • I find Ruth's Chris fantastic.  I have been probably 10 times or so in the last 15 years, so its not a frequent place for me.  I think if they get the wet aging down right, they can maintain a great product.  Maybe when this pandemic mess is over, my wife and I will give it another visit to see the changes.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I find Ruth's Chris fantastic.  I have been probably 10 times or so in the last 15 years, so its not a frequent place for me.  I think if they get the wet aging down right, they can maintain a great product.  Maybe when this pandemic mess is over, my wife and I will give it another visit to see the changes.
    Looking forward to your comparison to previous visits!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I find Ruth's Chris fantastic.  I have been probably 10 times or so in the last 15 years, so its not a frequent place for me.  I think if they get the wet aging down right, they can maintain a great product.  Maybe when this pandemic mess is over, my wife and I will give it another visit to see the changes.
    get the Chop Salad. I freaking love that thing. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Get the chicken- not kidding it’s one of the best things on their menu. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    We visit places like Ruth’s Chris, Flemings, and Mastro’s when we have gift cards or some sort of “let’s go celebrate” event. It’s always good food and nice to let someone else cook a good steak sometimes.

I’d be surprised if anyone here walked into a Ruth’s Chris right now for a meal and walked out spitting food that they deemed inedible. 
  • tcmagee
    tcmagee Posts: 9
    edited February 2021
    Ruth Fertel died 04/16/2002.  This lame article makes it seem as though Ruth's decision to change to wet aging is a recent thing.  I think the change to wet aging took place a quite a long time ago.  I started eating at Ruth's in the mid '90s and I think the menu referenced wet aging back then.    

Any way, I have eaten a Ruth's in several places around the country and the rib steaks, T bones and Porterhouses for 2 are aways great.  Treat yourself and try it.  The flavor of prime beef cooked at high heat without any smoke flavor is really excellent, too. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That’s a work dinner kind of place.  Not my pocket.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    tcmagee said:
    Ruth Fertel died 04/16/2002.  This lame article makes it seem as though Ruth's decision to change to wet aging is a recent thing.  I think the change to wet aging took place a quite a long time ago.  I started eating at Ruth's in the mid '90s and I think the menu referenced wet aging back then.    

Any way, I have eaten a Ruth's in several places around the country and the rib steaks, T bones and Porterhouses for 2 are aways great.  Treat yourself and try it.  The flavor of prime beef cooked at high heat without any smoke flavor is really excellent, too. 
    Wow!  I did a quick googlez and looks like been wet aged since at least 2012 ... Looking for more detailed history, but you are right, article is stupid for many reasons!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    tcmagee said:
     The flavor of prime beef cooked at high heat without any smoke flavor is really excellent, too. 

I get a lot of weird looks when I say that broiling is one my favorite ways to cook a steak for exactly this reason. 

https://youtu.be/KwUr08wunRw
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    SonVolt said:
    tcmagee said:
     The flavor of prime beef cooked at high heat without any smoke flavor is really excellent, too. 

I get a lot of weird looks when I say that broiling is one my favorite ways to cook a steak for exactly this reason. 

https://youtu.be/KwUr08wunRw
    They use Infrared ovens if I'm not mistaking
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Yep. I'm about to place an order for a Bluestar range which has one of those infrared 1,800F broilers built in. The vid above is the regular ol' gas broiler on my GE Profile. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The original Ruth's Chris was on 1100 North Broad Street in New Orleans (actually near @buzd504 ).  Ruth's son was friends with SWMBO back when she lived in uptown.  Small world.  Her story is fascinating.
    edited February 2021
    Wow, that article is massively out of date!?  Change happened under Ruth's control.

In his memoir, The Gorilla Man and the Empress of Steak: A New Orleans Family Memoir, Randy Fertel wrote that his mother, Ruth Fertel, switched from dry-aged steaks to wet-aged cuts of meat in order to maintain more consistency. 

• Ruth's chris is all about the experience and the sides. No one with a green egg should be going out to eat a great steak. Order one from SRF, Lobels, or Pat LaFrieda.  Spend $250 on a steak and cook it yourself and you can feed 4+ people on a meal that would cost $1000 to eat out. 
    I am with you 100 percent!  I have had steak dinners at some of the best steakhouses in the country, many of them expensed, and am often disappointed.  Like someone else said, though, the sides usually are fantastic.  The one exception for me is Cattleman’s in Oklahoma City.  That place is a magic, and unforgettable, but maybe that’s because it’s in my hometown.

Btw, you guys should give the Gibson’s Steakhouse seasoning a try.  I inquired about their seasoning the last time I was in Chicago and discovered it was available on Amazon.  Use it all the time on steaks, chops and salmon.  https://www.amazon.com/Gibsons-Steakhouse-Seasoning-Salt/dp/B07Y8WDX1S
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    The good news, I guess, is if you’ve had a steak at RC since 2002, it will be the same today.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Legume said:
    The good news, I guess, is if you’ve had a steak at RC since 2002, it will be the same today.
    It also proves that good is good no matter how you get there. Some folks have been eating those wet aged steaks for almost 10 years and didn’t know the difference. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2021
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    It also proves that good is good no matter how you get there. Some folks have been eating those wet aged steaks for almost 10 years and didn’t know the difference. 
    Changed my mind, no need for inflammatory rhetoric.  It was funny, but I am still on probation.
  • nolaegghead
    A wet aged steak will appeal to a broader palate than a dry.  That's another upside to the wet aging from a commercial perspective.
    A wet aged steak will appeal to a broader palate than a dry.  That's another upside to the wet aging from a commercial perspective.
    That is part of my beef.  Let plebians go to Outback or Texas Roadhouse.  Where do I go for the best?
  • nolaegghead
    That is part of my beef.  Let plebians go to Outback or Texas Roadhouse.  Where do I go for the best?
    The "best" is subjective, but I doubt you'll disagree this guy probably has the best steaks insofar as aging goes.  I've read about him before, just dug this up: