Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic Fish-cooking

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love fish cooked on the grill, but haven't done it myself much.
What I'm wondering is cooking method (direct/indirect; raised or regular grid; etc) temperature and time for basic grilling of Salmon, swordfish (I assume Bluefish will be the same) and tuna.[p]I been reading that it sounds like the best way to do Tuna is a +/- 60 second sear on each side, but at what temp?[p]Also, is there a recommended way to cook haddock, halibut or any other mild white fish?[p]Recommended wood(s)?
thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    firm stuff like steaks of tuna/swordfish/salmon can be directly grilled[p]stuff like haddock, which flakes is best indirect on something that'll let you 'manage' them a bit. plank, pan, etc.[p]no fish expert, but that's my basic approach

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01533aBb.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,[p]Tuna is sure good grilled at HIGH temps, so hot I don't even measure them, but over 600° for sure. Alton Brown did some where he cooked tuna on top of a charcoal chimney which was sitting on his grill. This seems like a good idea to me. Stike is right about grilling firmer fish direct...be sure to oil the grate or screen. Smaller fillets can be cooked on a tin foil boat.[p]As you see in the picture, I've been planking salmon and trout lately.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    all the white fish and most others only need to be cooked until they start to flake and you can cook them from braising temps on up to broiling temps. the mild white fishes haddock cod scrod pollock sole halibut flounder etc i almost always cook in a pan. tuna you just want served so that its warm if you touch it to your lips but can be cooked to higher temps if you have a sauce to replace the moisture loss. bunch of ways to cook salmon, i dont like it much, but cook it til it flakes. swordfish is overrated and sometimes has that fishy flavor even if fresh, i would rather have some mahi steaks. small trout fried in a skillet, big trout baked,bass perch crappie deep fried. you will either like bluefish or you will hate it, its good in chowders and chilled and flaked for tuna fish sandwhich substitute, mackerel would be the same for me. dont know much about the southern fish but have seen some stuff on the forum that looks real good.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Seared tuna has become a favorite of ours. I put a liberal amount of olive oil on both sides and leave on the countertop for about 1 hour to marinate. Depending on thickness, I sear both sides (600 degrees or higher) for about 1 minute per side. Then, sprinkle on salt and pepper. That's it! Simple and probably the best tuna you ever ate.....

• thirdeye
    Options
    DSC01251a.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,[p]Yeah, pan fried trout is hard to beat. I also like fried perch, walleye, steelhead and even salmon.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fishlessman
    Options
    thirdeye,
    the one trout i never liked is rainbow (actually a friend of mine's wife pickled some fresh stuff in a cambodian sauce that was pretty good) never thought to deep fry it, might be the way to go. pretty much all rainbows in new england are stocked, they dont do well in our acidic water. cooking up a couple butts this weekend for next weekends derby

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    dont forget that you can make stews in an egg, this was done in a cataplana, but a bean pot would work too. this is best with a variety of white fish for different textures in the soup, every time you cook fish cut some off for the freezer and when you have enough variety make a stew. saving a little from each cook is also good with smoked meat for making brunswick stews later in the year

[ul][li]fishermans stew[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• Sandbagger
    Options
    thirdeye, oh man lawn ranger needs to read the paper, not too often Tech wins......ah like that....[p]It's hard to beat lightly breaded and pan fried lake perch..

• thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Our Hawg Derby is comming up and I'm thinking a Dutch oven of Mrs thirdeye's green chili might be the ticket. It has a bite even when the fishermen don't.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]The main thing to me is don't overcook it!! My rule of thumb "When you think it's done, you should have taken it off a minute or two ago". [p]Good Luck!!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Ah, those keen North Texas eyes! Good job! BTW, that was a GREAT game![p]LR

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]I have two pieces of advice. First, if you can get fresh nice bright red steaked tuna that has not been frozen, get it. Most tuna has been frozen. Many of the tuna that has not been frozen is a very dark red. This is the sign of poorly processed (not bled) and not very fresh fish. Poorly handled tuna is not very good. If I cannot get the good (never been frozen) tuna, I will go for the frozen sushi grade tuna. If it has never been frozen, it will cook to an almost white color and it will be extremely tender. If it has been frozen, it will never be nearly as tender as the not frozen tuna. Second point, bluefish can be very oily. This is especially true for larger bluefish. There is a smokehouse near me that smokes bluefish. It is some of the best smoked fish that I have ever tasted. The put a very peppery rub on the outside of it. It is fantastic. I have not tried to replicate it yet.
    To answer your question, sear the tuna. If it has been frozen, I would consider doing it in a pan. I would smoke the bluefish (indirect) because it can be quite a strong fish flavor.