Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dry ice in a rotomolded cooler

does it need to be vented or just lock it up tight. buying it in pellet form so im thinking it melts faster
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Dry-Ice-in-a-Cooler

That link says to loosen the drain cap just a little, don't seal the cooler.  The gas has to escape.

Never thought about it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    good info, didnt think to line it with cardboard or Styrofoam.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    kl8ton said:
    Pro Tip:

You get FREE DRY ICE with every SRF purchase!  Give it a go!

im using it for work but it would be nice to write off an srf purchase =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Seal it up and see what happens.  My guess is that is maybe holds a tiny bit of pressure but will escape the gasket. 

Dry ice doesn't "melt", it sublimates (solid directly to gas). 
    Seal it up and see what happens.  My guess is that is maybe holds a tiny bit of pressure but will escape the gasket. 

melt wasnt a good term. have never given a thought, always had it in the back of a truck, not in the cab so no idea how much gas it gives of or how quickly. will probably leave the cooler open outside overnight to prechill, its been cold out lately
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Langner91 said:
    Never heard of this site before, thank you!  
    Got some exploring to do.   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2021
    kl8ton said:
    Pro Tip:

Hope your part slides in nice, sounds like your doing an interference fit. Always nerve racking until its in and in all the way. I've seen a few get stuck half way and then its back to hours/days of machining..... no pressure

• fishlessman
    poster said:
    kl8ton said:
    Pro Tip:

Hope your part slides in nice, sounds like your doing an interference fit. Always nerve racking until its in and in all the way. I've seen a few get stuck half way and then its back to hours/days of machining..... no pressure

yeah, theres no pressure, a 3 inch copper sleeve 4 inches deep into a 3 ton slab of stainless. the customer is flying in a guy from sweden and sending a whole flock of seagulls to watch.  i get to watch a hardness test done on the stainless with some kinda chemical acid though, never heard of this voodoo magic. my question is though, do it horizontal or vertically, horizontally would be easier to fix as it will be already set up in the horizontal boring machine but makes it harder to drop in. not allowed to heat the stainless
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    poster said:
    kl8ton said:
    Pro Tip:

yeah, theres no pressure, a 3 inch copper sleeve 4 inches deep into a 3 ton slab of stainless. the customer is flying in a guy from sweden and sending a whole flock of seagulls to watch.  i get to watch a hardness test done on the stainless with some kinda chemical acid though, never heard of this voodoo magic. my question is though, do it horizontal or vertically, horizontally would be easier to fix as it will be already set up in the horizontal boring machine but makes it harder to drop in. not allowed to heat the stainless
    Lol, I bet your on a rush delivery too, just like every critical job seems to be. Do you have a shoulder to bottom out against at least? Sounds like this job will make or break your weekend, or is the copper piece easy to replace? Liquid Nitrogen isn't an option for a little more insurance? that copper is gonna warm up fast.
  • nolaegghead
    liquid nitrogen: -320F
    dry ice: -109F
    Roto coolers are filled with styrofoam, right?  

How can you pre-chill that?
  • fishlessman
    poster said:
    poster said:
    kl8ton said:
    Pro Tip:

Lol, I bet your on a rush delivery too, just like every critical job seems to be. Do you have a shoulder to bottom out against at least? Sounds like this job will make or break your weekend, or is the copper piece easy to replace? Liquid Nitrogen isn't an option for a little more insurance? that copper is gonna warm up fast.

starts valentines day, not my crew. inspection on presidents day, delivery to me tuesday and set up. wednsday i do a practice run and thursday, maybe friday it goes in. i bought extra stock. my hopes is i can use the shaft on the horizontal as a press to give it a nice even push with the bushing on ice right next to the hole. where it sits. i dont see it ready with removal on vday. not sure how the hardness evens out over the plate, theres a hundred or so 2.5 diameter electrical feed thrus and i doubt the hole is even close to round so the plan is to upsize it. my hope is that i can keep the seagulls from looking over the shoulder for a few days but i doubt it. have used liquid nitrogen but i think the dry ice will work and will be safer.  there doesnt seem to be much info on this fit, especially how small the inside diameter gets after it, theres another ceramic part that sides in that and everything i read says thats a guess. will see how my guess works in the practice round
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324

Just leave the drain plug cracked open so pressure doesn't build.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    I have put boiling water in a roto-molded cooler and secured the top, drain tight.  It "farts" off the pressure.  That's my experience.  Cracking the drain a little would be a good idea tho.
    "3 inch copper sleeve 4 inches deep into a 3 ton slab of stainless" - what kind of equipment are you repairing this time? And the customer is from Sweden? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    its a huge pressure furnace, i think this one operates at 28000 psi and 2500 degrees
    fukahwee maine