Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on your Super Bowl menu?

Options
Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting antsy for the Super Bowl even though I really don't have a favorite in there. Maybe I am antsy because it will be an egging event (but isn't sun-sat anyway).[p]Going to do three racks of ribs from Costco smoked with peach and hickory. Also will be doing some of the Dizzy Pig wings and while we are munching on all that at kickoff I will have a couple fatties on just in case.[p]Should be fun. Temp here in Iowa is only going to be about 5 degrees if that.[p]What's on your menu?

Comments

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    I am also from Iowa, what part are you from? I am here in central Iowa just north of Ames. Bucky

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    I am from Clive.

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]Cooking 100 pounds of brisket point for burnt ends, 80 pounds of chicken wings, 1 case of butts, about 70 links of hot sausages, 30 pounds of rib tips, 6 skillets of custard cornbread, slaw, beans and cabbage relish for the sausages.[p]Made a pub style mustard using the brewery's beer too.[p]Cooking for a local microbrewery. Should have close to a high of 8 degrees here in the Detroit area, maybe even 9![p]I hate cold weather![p]Enjoy the game![p]Bob
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,--We usually try to do the food of the area the games being played in, so , We're making cuban marinated pork roast, Jamican jerk pork butts, Jamaican chicken and Jamaican Ribs. Also going to make regular BBQ ribs, butts and chicken for those who don't like the hot stuff. Most all the people who come bring side dishes to go with everything. We usually have 150-200 people, so you can see, we do cook lots. We'll have 7 Large Eggs and 3 Small eggs cooking starting today. See-Yaa
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    LoveHandles,[p]I'll be doing some jerk marinated stuff too, because Peyton Manning is a jerk.

• schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    What is "custard cornbread"? Lived in Alabama all my 53yrs. Thought I had eaten every cornbread on the Planet. Can you share the recipe???[p]Go Peyton!!!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p] Well if I survive the horrendous weather we are having here in North Carolina I might cook something..[p] Took me 22 minutes to get to work today!!!.. That extra 2 minutes is a killer..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Herm,[p] Do I detect a wee bit of bitterness because the Colts are in the Superbowl and not the Patriots... :)[p] I think I have some Bear meat in the freezer...

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Spare ribs, baby backs(for the wife), hot wings, ABTs, and I might try the pickle bombs if I have enough time. Almost forgot the pulled pork, it goes on sale friday for .89c a pound.
    Jake

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]it's more than a wee bit, I guess.
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    schley,
    What part of Alabama are you in? My wife and I are looking to move to Fairhope within the next year or two (hopefully). Been going down to my in-laws the past 5 years and love the area along with the gulf region.[p]Here's the recipe. I also add a can of those chopped green chiles. I've added cheese and it's still good but as written and with the peppers seems to work best to me. This is sweeter than many cornbreads but then it isn't a true cornbread I guess. But man is it good! Well, as my wife says, "It's only good if you like it". I also use wholemilk for this.[p]Bob[p]Custard Cornbread[p]1 1/2 c. cornmeal
    1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 c. milk
    1 c. buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt[p]2 tbsp. butter
    1 c. milk[p] In large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except butter and 1 cup milk. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth, about 2 minutes.[p]In a heavy oven-proof 10" skillet or a 9" square baking pan, melt butter over low heat until bubbly but not browned; pour batter into skillet. Slowly pour remaining 1 cup milk over batter, do not stir. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until browned and the center is firm to the touch. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.

• schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Thanks, we will try it!!! I live in Montgomery and have a little place in Orange Beach. Fairhope is a beautiful and unique town. Growing like crazy!!! Like you I hope to move to the area one day. With this cornbread you may fit right in, you know we call it the "Redneck Riviera" or LA "Lower Alabama" All kidding aside, it is a great place to live and play![p]
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    schley,
    You are welcome! From what I've seen so far and with the people I have been talking to I'm sure I'll fit right in just fine! (could be kind of scary....)[p]Forgot to mention. I use a coarse ground cornmeal/grit for this. Gives a nice texture and in my opinion a better corn flavor.[p]I bought several pounds of a fresh stone ground cornmeal from a guy that runs a tire shop in Fairhope. It needs to be refrigerated due to the germ in it. Commercial stuff is nuked to give it a shelf life. I'm running low on his stuff and have to use store bought stuff. Got a place near me where I can get 25 pounds at a time of the coarse ground stuff.[p]Gotta go do some shopping and start prepping foods. Hope you enjoy that custard cornbread! [p]Good luck moving to LA![p]Bob

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    The following recipe is already in motion. I have wanted to try this recipe ever since it was posted some five years ago, now I finally get a chance.[p][ul][li]Carne Adobadas[/ul][p][ul][li]Adobo Sauce for Carne Adobado[/ul][p]I went to Sam’s Club and Harry’s last night to get all of the ingredients. As I was checking out at Harry’s the cashier say the printout of the recipe in the cart and he asked if he could come over to eat. When I got home, I fried up the chilies and garlic and let them sit overnight in water. [p]When I got up this morning, I made the sauce. All I have to say is that it is going to be good. I will put the pork in it tonight and then cook everything on Sunday. [p]I also got some chicken breast that I am just going to use lime and salt for a marinade to grill and slice for fajitas. At this point, I am mostly shopped for Super Bowl to avoid the crowds. I am sure that I forgot something and will need to go back out on Saturday to get something.[p]This sauce smells and taste great.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• schley,
    I live in Montgomery!! I didn't know anyone else in Montgomery read The BGE forum.

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    bonnie,
    I have a friend in Alexander City that lurks from time to time.[p]I keep telling him to get an egg.

• bbqBob,
    Yes that's close. I love this forum, Everyone is so nice, and I love the pics. It's how I relax after teaching 5 year olds all day:)!!!! By the way your friend can get an egg at Moody hardware here in Montgomery. I did internet- free shipping and no tax.