Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Pepper Mill

Options
I know we have some pepper lovers here. The prototype got great reviews from professionals. I’ll let you know how it is once it arrives this summer. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I ordered it too on their first run, looks promising.

Options
    Love pepper and have relied of my very solid Vic Firth pepper mills for years.   This sucker, though, looks like It could cut my milling time way down.   Of course I wonder if It would burn through my favored Tellicherry too quick?
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Very cool, but I'll stick with my Oxo Good Grips for normal needs or my electric spice grinder for times when I need a bucketful.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    edited January 2021
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Very cool, but I'll stick with my Oxo Good Grips for normal needs or my electric spice grinder for times when I need a bucketful.

It looks like Oxo is pretty much on top of the decently priced pepper mills.  I use the Peugeot for finishing pepper.  Trudeau has a couple of mills with decently high output but I got fedup of replacing them every other year and the plastic bits in the pepper when they break is not cool.

edited January 2021
    Options
    Love pepper and have relied of my very solid Vic Firth pepper mills for years.   This sucker, though, looks like It could cut my milling time way down.   Of course I wonder if It would burn through my favored Tellicherry too quick?
    I would not be too concerned with that, just fewer turns.  Quality and consistency if the grind is the question mark and for the price it was a risk but we’ll see.  Impulse buy, I’ve had good luck with Indiegogo so far 🤷‍♂️

edited January 2021
    Options
    For comparison, my Magnum pepper grinder (about 15-20y.o.?) gets at least 4g (.141 oz minimum) of pepper when cranked ten times at the widest setting.( ...I don’t have a scale that reads ounces to three decimal places) 

That’s virtually the same as the contender in the posted chart, and far more than the .055oz it is credited. 

• JustBuggin
    Options
    Funny video but not sure I could pay that much for a pepper mill. 

Don't pepper your children. 
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    30+ years ago, $3 at a thrift store. Found a second one for around the same price a few years later. On is set for coarse, one is set for fine. They get heavy use, no issues. Easy to get quantity quickly.

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Cool but I just don’t need that much pepper in a hurry
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    When a recipe calls for 90 twists of the pepper mill, how do I know which one to use ?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    $150?  Unless it vibrates I doubt I would get spousel unit buy-in.
    paqman said:
    HeavyG said:

It looks like Oxo is pretty much on top of the decently priced pepper mills.  I use the Peugeot for finishing pepper.  Trudeau has a couple of mills with decently high output but I got fedup of replacing them every other year and the plastic bits in the pepper when they break is not cool.
    I hear you. I have a Trudeau that I’ve loved for about a year but it’s acting up already. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    paqman said:
    HeavyG said:

I hear you. I have a Trudeau that I’ve loved for about a year but it’s acting up already. 
    How so?  Did your pepper grinder dress up in black face for an egg fest?
    This made me genuinely lol. I’m glad to see you keep up with what happens North of the border.  
  • paqman
    Options
    paqman said:
    HeavyG said:

How so?  Did your pepper grinder dress up in black face for an egg fest?
    🤣😂🤣

So it turns out Trudeau cleans up nicely. Took it apart today and it worked upon putting it back together. Must have been a Bloc-age. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I got a couple Zassenhaus crank grinders over 20 years ago when Penzeys still sold them and they still work like new. They have a really nice burr grinder that can be adjusted to deliver anything between cracked pepper and dust. You can grind a boatload of pepper lightening quick. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them now. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • paqman
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I got a couple Zassenhaus crank grinders over 20 years ago when Penzeys still sold them and they still work like new. They have a really nice burr grinder that can be adjusted to deliver anything between cracked pepper and dust. You can grind a boatload of pepper lightening quick. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them now. 

They loom nice too