Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great General Tao Recipe

Options
My wife and I tag teamed on this one tonight between work and taking care of the kids. Simple and excellent recipe. I am a big fan of Ricardo because all of his recipe are this way. From his extravagant desserts to Asian meals such as this, they all seem to work every time. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You lost me at... tofu. 😂🤣

paqman said:
    You lost me at... tofu. 😂🤣
    No reason you can’t substitute shrimp or chicken if soy is somehow too emasculating for you. 😉

I am not generally a fan of tofu in the least, but tonight’s preparation was actually pretty good. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That looks great. Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I think a lot of people find themselves not liking tofu because what they have eaten was perhaps kind of spongy/slippery/slimy.

You can lessen that to a large degree by using a tofu press to squeeze out the maximum amount of liquid possible before cubing or slicing it up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I think a lot of people find themselves not liking tofu because what they have eaten was perhaps kind of spongy/slippery/slimy.

You can lessen that to a large degree by using a tofu press to squeeze out the maximum amount of liquid possible before cubing or slicing it up.
    I am resisting the urge to flag you but I’ll give you a “like” for your honesty 🤣😂

Options
    looks easy, I will try this . . thanks for sharing.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    That looks great. Thanks for sharing. 
    Honestly, all his recipes are worth a try. My wife has made numerous of his cakes and they have been phenomenal, both in presentation and in taste/texture. 
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait. First I have to buy tofu then I have to buy a press to make it edible??   ;)
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • paqman
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Wait, wait, wait. First I have to buy tofu then I have to buy a press to make it edible??   ;)
    😂

My wife (who generally shuns most alternatives to meet), kids and I all could not help ourselves from picking at the pile of fried tofu, which had only been seasoned with salt and pepper, prior to going into the mix. If nothing else, tofu can be a fantastically textured vehicle for S and P when prepared nicely. 
  • paqman
    Options
    I would not purchase tofu but I can’t say that I dislike it.  It is actually fine but not something that I enjoy.

Options
    Tofu is a blank canvas.  it will take on whatever taste and texture you want it to with a wide latitude.  It's a good source of protein and it has plenty of fat, probably good for a low carb diet.