Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

?Any Eggsperience with Lamb Shanks? Tandoori

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are thinking of doing lamb shanks for Easter instead of a leg of lamb. Anybody have any experience on the BGE with this piece of meat?[p]I am thinking of marinating it tandoori style.[p]Fritz

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Fritz,
    I like the concept of using a lamb shank. Normally, you would cube the lamb for Tandoori. However, if you marinate the whole roast overnight and then just cook it a normal temps, you should have one tasty piece of meat. When the roast gets within 5 to 10 degrees of desired doneness, remove your polder and open up both vents. Let a final crust form on the meat with the egg in turbo mode for 5 to 15 minutes. I would keep an eye on the meat with a flashlight through the dome, so that you do not burn it.[p]There are a couple of Tandoori Marinades listed in the submitted recipe section and both are good.[p]Let us know how it turns out,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Fritz
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I know you cube meat for your tandoor cooking, but the first (and only) time I have eaten tandoori chicken in an Indian restaurant it was done bone in. It might have even been a half a chicken.[p]That is why doing a lamb shank tandoori style doesn't seem to far off.[p]RIght now, I think that is what I am going to do.[p]The last two nights we have had jerked chicken (HOT!) and shrimp marinated in Raichlen's "Down Island Seasonin' ". That is not as fiery as jerk, but very flavorful.[p]Fritz
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Fritz,
    Your idea will work for chicken because of even cooking time of the meat on the bone. Since a lamb shank is not of uniform thickness, you could have uneven cooking of the meat. I agree with not cubing the meat in this situation. I normally cook Tandoori at a very high temperature that I do not feel would cook a roast correctly. I am very interested in how it turns out for you.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Fritz
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Well, we are not doing shanks, but a shoulder roast. (I waited too late to find shanks around here.) I think I will do it at 300* with a drip pan, kinda like a leg of lamb. What do you think?[p]Fritz