Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to make a call a brisket

12lb prime packer started at 11pm last night. I figured 1.25 hrs per lb to finish around noon today. This is the most stubborn cow I’ve cooked. Been crushing all night between 245-275 but hit an early stall at 145 around 4 this morning. After 4 hrs in the stall, it had a decent bark, so I wrapped it to push through. Planning on the cow giving up the goods between 195-205. I don’t need this thing to be done until 2-3pm. When should I make the call to crank the heat to 300 or more to get this thing to the finish line at an acceptable time? 

Comments

• @CornfedMA Stay the course you will finish early at the current temps.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    so we are still in that 140-150 range? I think it’ll push thru faster than you think wrapped. Plan on FTC at about 11-12. Are you sure your probe is accurately telling you the right temp? I’d hang on in the 250-275 range
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    ColbyLang said:
    so we are still in that 140-150 range? I think it’ll push thru faster than you think wrapped. Plan on FTC at about 11-12. Are you sure your probe is accurately telling you the right temp? I’d hang on in the 250-275 range
    Ya probes are good. Got them in the thick part of the flat. I tried a second one an inch or 2 from where I put the first one just to be sure. They’re reading identical. I’ve moved 2 degrees since I wrapped so we’ll see how it goes. Wasn’t expecting this from a prime brisket. Hopefully I don’t get a 2nd stall around 165-170. 
  • Did you wrap in foil or butcher paper?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CornfedMA
    Did you wrap in foil or butcher paper?
    Had to go with foil in this one. Out of butcher paper. Vented the foil in a few places. Didn’t want to completely destroy the bark. 
  • @CornfedMA If you vent the foil you completely circumvent the point of wrapping.  I have removed the foil at 195 before thinking it would finish to 200 or so and dry out the bark.  Not!  The temperature immediately dropped into the 180’s and I couldn’t get it to come back up after cranking the pit to 300.   You can always dry out the bark by leaving uncovered in the egg for 10-12 minutes.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • CornfedMA
    @Money_Hillbilly this has actually worked out well for me before. By venting, I mean I poked a 1/2 dozen holes with the temp probes. I don’t care about a super crunchy bark, I just don’t want mush. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    edited January 2021
    Venting like that defeats purpose, because you lose the ability to "pressure cook" it. Wrapping tight with somthing impermeable locks in the moisture and elevates surface temperature, which speeds up the cook and tenderizes at the same time.

You may want to throw another layer of foil wrap over top the one you poked holes through.

Anyhow, once you're past the stall, with a good foil wrap, it will get to 200F pretty quick. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Update?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Man the struggle is real. Glad it turned out good and you made the most of it. I had a prime packer from Costco, similar sized that once took 17 hours. It was one of the better briskets I’ve ever made but man I was sweating it out. When you put it on at ten the night before and it’s still in the stall at 2 o’clock the next day, you get real nervous.