Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I did it! I bought a large!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After fretting all week about price I finally just broke down tonight, went down to my local dealer and bought a Large Egg with all the trimmings for 10% off retail. They had Large Egg tables 1/2 off so I bought that instead of the nest/mate. With high WA tax included everything was $900. I am now faced with the daunting task of assembling the beast. Any advice? the shopkeeper suggested a bead of high heat silicone around the inside of the band to prevent slipping. Has anyone done this? What else should I look out for? besides hernias I mean.[p]Thanks- You guys are the main reason I went with an EGG!

Comments

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Skooter,[p]Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the family. You are in for some real fun using your egg. Yes, I put a bead of blue RTV under the bands to help them seat better.[p]What is going to be your first cook?[p]Carl T

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Skooter, Congratulations..!! I balanced the investment this way. At the time we purchase our large BGE, we were dining out at the rate of $300.00 per month in lunches..Its rare we do that anymore..It just doesn't compare. So I figured the Green Budget Buster really saved me its price in a easy 6 months. If I counted tips to the waitress...a year maybe?
    Use the silicon on the band and this will decrease the need to overtighten the band bolts. Let it set up and be sure the top dome seats on the lower unit casting properly. Two dimples in the band to locate in the dome recess holes when tightening the bands. Make sure they are lined up and the recess holes are deep enough to accomodate the band rivet seats.
    If you have the locking latch band, then make sure that everyone who is going to operate it, has a session on the lift, click, lock, lift and release sequence. That is a must do. Allow no one to operate the dome unless they have the routine.
    Nuff for now...others will add or compliment with their own input..Happy Q'days are ahead for you.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Skooter,
    You will never be the same, there is a learning curve but it's also fun. With the help of this forum you will have great eats in no time. If you have any problems, the good people here will guide you. Hope you enjoy the BGE as much as I have.
    New Bob

• Char-Woody,[p]Good advice on the assembly. Thanks. One problem that I have is: How do I lower the 140 lb egg into the table? I will probably be sealing the birch table all day Saturday and lower the Egg in Sunday for evening filets. It seems like it will be an awkward if not dangerous task.[p]Any thoughts on the matter?[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Skooter, I put the lower casting in the table, then did the assembly..Take all internal parts out, and assemble after you get the lower unit in the table and resting on the green feet or a circular cement patio stone.

• Char-Woody,[p]cool- I was worried the Egg would sit too low in the table to allow that but I'm sure you're right.[p]Thanks
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Skooter, it will be fine..just have a good grip on the edges as you lower it in. Two persons its a snap..my wife and I did it. I coulda done it alone, but she insisted..:-)
    Put the dome on after you get it set..Bands and all will be up for easy assembly.
    Good luck..

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Skooter,[p]Welcome and congrads on the new BBQ. Woody has got you off and running with his info, I am not sure I saw anyone respond to your question about the silicone. My Eggs don't have it on their bands but it is not suggested so I would add it as an extra precaution. The band has the two "studs" that fit into holes in the Egg on the front, the rear is where the bands can pop off if not secure enough so use the silicone mainly on the rear half and tighten the bolts more than you think you need to. They will actually bend a little when tight enough.[p]Throw away the manual and ask many questions here. Have fun![p]Smok'em if you got'em[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Its early and my eye haven't focused yet I guess.[p]The silicone "IS" recomended by BGE now and I would use it. My other post had a typo and should have read, "My Eggs don't have it on their bands but it is <FONT COLOR="#007F00">NOW</FONT> suggested" [p]Sorry to confuse you[p]Tim - mr typo
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Skooter, if you will include your eMail (or send me an eMail) on your posts, I'll send you a collection of recipes that I have collected from the forum over the last eight months. It's a great replacement for the BGE Cookbook. I think GFW put it on his website if you want to pull it down from there, but if not you'll find a lot of useful things there.

[ul][li]gfw's site[/ul]