Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Picanha - The FaceDance Way

Options
Hell yeah...

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,837
    Options
    Oh yeah indeed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I want to try one of these.  Did you order a picanha roast or were you able to find one at a grocery store?

That knife is killer too!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    OMG indeed!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Great cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FaceDance
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I want to try one of these.  Did you order a picanha roast or were you able to find one at a grocery store?

That knife is killer too!
    I live in South Florida so we have a few Brazilian butchers.  However, I’ve grown fond of the Wild Forks PRIME Picanha.  Defrost in the fridge for a few days, then Let it dry age in the fridge for 1-2 days with a HEAVY coat of course sea salt and pepper.  Score the fat cap, roll it low and slow at 225 until 125 internal temp, then fire it up for the sear until desired temp.  So easy... so good.  Serve with chimichurri or horseradish sauce.  Always a show stopper.  
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Looks delicious!   Nice job!

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I just looked up Wild Forks.  Unfortunately they don’t deliver to me here in Omaha, Nebraska.  

Ironically, they describe their products as such:

“At Wild Fork Foods, we predominantly source our beef from Colorado and Nebraska, where the cold weather attracts some of the best-quality English and continental breeds, such as Angus, Hereford and Limousin. Close proximity to these states guarantees that our cattle enjoy high-quality feed year-round.”

Dammit. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• FaceDance
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    I just looked up Wild Forks.  Unfortunately they don’t deliver to me here in Omaha, Nebraska.  

“At Wild Fork Foods, we predominantly source our beef from Colorado and Nebraska, where the cold weather attracts some of the best-quality English and continental breeds, such as Angus, Hereford and Limousin. Close proximity to these states guarantees that our cattle enjoy high-quality feed year-round.”

Dammit. 
    Man... that’s a kick in the shorts.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SaltySam said:

Dammit. 
    Hey Sam . . . just did some searching, maybe give this url a try
    https://wildforkfoods.com/blogs/stores/do-you-have-stores
    web page said they'd deliver to my zip code in NE KS
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Nitrofever
    Options
    Did you use the platesetter indirect heat first, with any type of smoking wood? Then remove the setter and crank up for the seer? Thanks
  • FaceDance
    Options
    Did you use the platesetter indirect heat first, with any type of smoking wood? Then remove the setter and crank up for the seer? Thanks
    You got it.  Classic reverse sear.  Plate setter at 225-ish, some apple or fruit wood chips (doesn't need a lot harsh smoke), cook until 125-ish internal temp, remove roast and plate setter, crank up heat, sear on all sides until desired temp is reached (135 for medium rare).  Very easy and is on my "go-to" list. 
  • Spillin
    Options
    Well done!!  Huge fan of wildforks as well.  Get prime picanha and prime tri tips all the time.
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • elpescadorzih
    Options
    I picked up some tri tips and a picahna from Wild Forks. Having a tri tip tomorrow.
    Meat looks good.  Prime,  nice marbling.