Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt (Fat side up or down)

Kevin F
Kevin F Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Staying home and working today. Going to put a butt on the BGE.
Fat side up or down?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Kevin,[p]I like to cook with the fat cap up when cooking butts.[p]BGE017.jpg

• Kevin,
    I cook fat side down to give that little extra protection from the heat - it has never failed me.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Fire in the Hole,[p]Ditto...[p]Because the way I look at it the fat will cook down and will
    flow down...and keep everything moist..

• Kevin, in my case that depends. If I'm cooking a brisket under a butt I put the brisket in fat side down for some protection from the heat, and put the butt above it fat side up so it can get seared/melted a little better. In this case the brisket is the heat shield for the butt. If I am cook one or more butts without a brisket under them I cook them fat side down using the fat cap as a little protection from the heat. Just my take, and both have worked well for me.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Kevin,
    no fat covering equals more bark, the butts i get have very little fat to begin with. picnics always have more fat around here, im lazy and just cook them fat side up, but cutting most of it off would be a better choice

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it