Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the Eggperts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doen anyone else get a strange 'taste' when grilling ribs or wings direct on their egg? I can notice a strage aftertase on the meat, but the wife thinks I'm nuts. Is the fat drippings giving off a foul taste perhaps? Any ideas for me to remedy this problem?? Ive never heard of indirect wings! Help![p]
Thanks

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Thomas,[p]I've never noticed a strange taste on wings. I love wings off the Egg. So much so the rest of the family always jokes about how many wings I eat.[p]Next time you wife says your nuts, just tell her "I am not nuts I just have a unique perspective".[p]On a more serious note with the wings it could be the smoke flavor. Poultry picks it up pretty good even if you don't add any wood.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Thomas,[p]As commercially obtained wings are deep fried, you can expect a slightly different taste from your Egg. Any dripping on the coals will tend to burn, but should not produce an off taste.[p]An off taste can be added to the meal if the meal is cooked over a fire that is still growing . A regulated dome cooking temp should produce no colored smoke from the top vent. A grey colored smoke indicates that the coals are still establishing themselves to cook and this smoke can add a different flavoring. A white (or clear) smoke indicates the Egg is ready to cook on. Any moisture in the lump tends to produce puffs of white smoke.[p]Give the smoke exiting the top vent a sniff (before the cook). This is the flavor added to the cook from the coals. A sniff during the cook tells you the flavor of the meal cooking and also anything that might be burned in the process.[p]Spin

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Thomas,[p] I have cooked many racks & loads of wings & have only had one bad tasting rack. I could taste the fat, which left a bad grease taste in my mouth. Still don't know why to this day, again, it was only the one time. As Spin mentioned, did you bring the fire to temp & what do you use to start the charcoal? Do you use lump or Briketts?
    It does sound like you may have a sensitive palate & pick up the taste of the fat more that your wife. That is, if there is such a thing.
    Just trying to help.[p]Earl

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    Thomas,
    You haven't by chance gotten some green wood into your egg , have you? e.g. a limb off a pecan tree. In my experiece any wood particularly from the hickory family that is not completely dry will give a rough result. I indicated hickory family because those are the ones I am most familiar with. Additionally , your wife thinking you are a bit nuts is an inherent part of the marriage contract. Dorothy Parker, the poet said something to the effect of: "Everyone is a little bit strange except me and thee, and sometimes thou art a bit odd."

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Thomas,[p]Fat dripping on a fire does give a "taste" that I can detect, just like adding smoking woods for taste. I notice it more when the fat starts to burn or almost burn, it creates a lot of smoke too. I also only notice it with foul for the mosty part but dripping fat that smokes does produce a "taste". Higher temps or drip pans help but watch the temps on the wings so a grease fire doesn't make it worse (stay below 350).[p]Tim