Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s on like Donkey Kong!!... Thanksgiving 2020 - show us whatcha got

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking Oh my goodness. I’m embarrassed enough I posted my meager leftover plate on the other thread. What I made doesn’t deserve to be on the same page with this creation. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
    500 Posts: 3,177
    womaus said:
    Up
    And as long as we're sharing, my wife failed to move what was in front of the liquor cabinet last night, but was able to crack it open and grab a bottle of bourbon for her pecan pie.

Grabbed my bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.

My oh my.
    Wow. Best $50 pie right there. I used Evan Williams Black in my pecan pie. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Damn @Foghorn & @Caliking.

Texas repping today.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  Here is my first Mad Max turkey cook.  Sorry they got out of order like all the books/movies these days.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    caliking said:
    Herb butter stuffed breast roulade wrapped in skin (meat glued) ready for the bath. 
    I started out with this on my radar. Even got some meat glue in time. But caliqueen reminded me that we weren’t cooking for 40 people, and that I had to nix my plans for turkey-8-ways. 
    Quitter 
    Nobody likes a quitter

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Foghorn said:
    This ain’t @caliking’s level.  But we’re having a civilized afternoon tea with deviled eggs made from Thanksgiving leftovers. 
    This well exceeds my level. Especially as far as being civilized is concerned =)

I love deviled eggs in any form, and would happily devour that platter.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @SciAggie - That post is so great on so many levels.  You blessed with family that can think beyond their own world and embrace the greater good that comes from truly caring and then making it happen.  You and your wife have obviously taught them well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    lousubcap said:
    @SciAggie - That post is so great on so many levels.  You blessed with family that can think beyond their own world and embrace the greater good that comes from truly caring and then making it happen.  You and your wife have obviously taught them well.  
    Agreed.  Love that your crew has their priorities straight.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    I want to show you what love and caring looks like. My wife and I are having Thanksgiving with my BIL. We are wearing masks, staying outside, avoiding  time together in the kitchen. Just five of us. Usually the Friday after Thanksgiving is when we break out the 32” paella pan and feed the clan. 
    This year my sweet SIL bought frozen lasagna at Sam’s and frozen dinner rolls. She reasoned that no one would have to be in the kitchen. We could heat it in the oven and eat outside. It’s not about the cooking - she was trying to keep everyone safe this year. It’s a great reminder that holidays are about family. We are all foodies but the food is the way we show how much we care. This year that love for family was shown with crappy frozen lasagna plopped on a plastic plate. I’m thankful for such a show of love. 
    Cheers y’all!

Gary - she gets it. Its a pity that so many don't.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Maybe I’m alone on an island here, but I love frozen lasagna.  It’s a different animal than homemade, but it’s the best thing first night if fish camp, easy ski trip dinner for a crowd, etc. basically you have to be tired AF after a day full of fresh air.
  • Foghorn
    Legume said:
    Maybe I’m alone on an island here, but I love frozen lasagna.  It’s a different animal than homemade, but it’s the best thing first night if fish camp, easy ski trip dinner for a crowd, etc. basically you have to be tired AF after a day full of fresh air.
    I'm a fan as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Legume said:
    Damn @Foghorn & @Caliking.

Texas repping today.
    @Legume, as many here can attest, if food looks that good in my house, it just means that my daughter is home. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Lazy is good, @Botch. That's a stuffed turkey breast? I see tasty sammiches in your future...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited November 2020
    caliking said:
    That's a stuffed turkey breast? I see tasty sammiches in your future...
    No, its labeled as a "turkey roast", and is a solid piece of Frankensteinian turkey white meat (I could see the meat glue lines as I sliced it).  I used Aaron Franklin's recipe that @smbishop so helpfully posted a couple days ago, but just used pepper and butter as it was pre-brined.  
    And yes, I plan on a couple days of sammiches, and will be diving into the Leftovers Throwdown thread for some ideas now.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Foghorn
    Turns out the homemade cranberry sauce goes very well on a charcuterie board... and with @The Cen-Tex Smoker's Thai Chicken sausage.  Just sayin'.

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Playing catch up.  Dismembered a 12 pounder, deboned legs for roulade, tried to keep them whole since I don't have/use meat glue. Keep the swiss roll shape by compression and freezing before vac packing for SV, worked well in the past. Bones and giblet for broth. 

Soaked breast in recycled shoyu egg marinade, now smoking in one armed bandit

canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,418
    Just the four of us this year.  Got a box of wood just in time for the double smoked ham. Pumpkin cheesecake, tators, ham gravy, green bean casserole, cornbread sausage stuffing, orange fluff and my favorite a can of ocean spray cranberry jellied. 

What is orange fluff? I know what it is in the picture, never heard of it. Meal looks absolutely delicious!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2020
    My mom’s white sweet potato pie:

@JohnInCarolina

That looks amazing. Care to share the recipe with us? I'm a sucker for both sweet potato and pumpkin pies. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Turkey on the egg, dried uncovered in the fridge for 2 days, injected with butter and coated with a wet rub.  Covered with an olive oil soaked dish towel.  Egged at 325, removed towel and bacon with breast at 135 and ramped temp to 375 to finish cook and brown.  I have used this method for 30 years, first in the oven then on the egg for the last 15 years and it comes out moist with perfect skin every time.

Love it. I presume the towel was wet to start, how was the bacon?  I know someone parcook brined turkey in microwave and finish in oven, very decent.
    canuckland