Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20lb mad max turkey timing question

Options
I've only done spatchcock for years. but this year I want to try the mad max.  how long should my 19lb bird take?  I was planning to light at 7am for putting on a 8:30am and pulling off by noon for a 1-2pm serving time? Does that sound right?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Planning on cooking at 325.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    I did not read much of the attched thread but the opener was written by Mad Max.  I suspect the answer is in there somewhere.
    MAD MAX'S TURKEY AND GRAVY - DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
    And here is a link from the naked whiz site:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey2/madmaxturkey2.htm  
    Enjoy the cook and make the best of quite a different Thanksgiving however it works out for you and your family.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did not read much of the attched thread but the opener was written by Mad Max.  I suspect the answer is in there somewhere.
    MAD MAX'S TURKEY AND GRAVY - DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS
    And here is a link from the naked whiz site:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey2/madmaxturkey2.htm  
    Enjoy the cook and make the best of quite a different Thanksgiving however it works out for you and your family.  
    Thanks buddy. Those are definitely the definitive resources, and I usually shoot for 14-15lb birds. but this year I had expected to go out of town but with the rising covid cases we decided to sit this one out. But, we were left with a 19lber at my local grocery and my wife is WORRIED!!

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    My 17 lb bird took exactly 5h using mad max method, at 325F. Only difference is I also injected my bird with chicken broth ... but I don't think that would make too much of a difference.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I"m just going to spatch the bird and buy some thighs to roast inside for the gravy.
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    It will cook much faster than you plan.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    amen. any time i cook a turkey in the 300-350 range, seems like it's done in about 90-120 minutes, regardless of the size.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    blind99 said:
    amen. any time i cook a turkey in the 300-350 range, seems like it's done in about 90-120 minutes, regardless of the size.  

Agree.  I just plan on a 3 hour turkey up to 20 pounds now.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Cooked a 20 lb burger MadMax style at 350. It went 4.5hrs for me.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    One MM recipe I read had a 20 lb bird for 4 hrs. I know the meat drives the cook, but was going to plan on 4hrs cook time for my 19.4 lb bird.
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    Mad Max... 18.3lb bird, 325-340, 3 hrs 12 mins to 165 F.
  • carrda04
    Options
    I tried to buy a small bird but received at 24.4 pounder! was worried about cook time but it only took 3.25 hours mad max at 325. And it was perfect. I was shocked.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    I suspect it is a lot like cooking a roast (or, to be more absurd: a hot dog)

At a certain point, a roast (or hot dog) won’t take any more time to cook just because it is bigger. 

We’re ultimately talking (with any meat in general) about how thick it is to the center. 

So, a regular hot dog takes no more time to cook than a foot long.

Extend that thinking to a roast. At a certain point, adding length to the roast does nothing to cook time. The shortest path for the heat to the center is from the sides. 

Once you are as long as you are wide, you shouldn’t see any real significant increase in cook time. 

Turkeys are less uniformly shaped. But much of the size increase is overall, as opposed to purely thickness of the breast meat or thigh. Though sure, those are of course thicker in bigger birds. But how much?

we always plan 12 minutes a pound, and any time we do a very large one we are “surprised” it’s done early. 

But we shouldn’t be. 

Problem is we (my family, I mean) don’t have it enough, or track bird sizes, and there are too many variables, to really nail anything down.