Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY strip sous vide/reverse sear dialed in

Options
hi all, i feel like i have my reverse sear dialed in the best i have to date and thought i'd share.  i know sous vide has its detractors and that's fair enough but as someone who has delivered dinner late to an angry wife on multiple occasions because i was waiting for the steak to come up to 120 before searing, the sous vide eliminates all the timing issues.  i can get it to 130 in 2 hours in the sous vide bath and let it be longer until i'm ready to sear.  its kind of set and forget and then pull only when you need to.

from there in the egg for the sear i have converted to a cast iron pan instead of cast iron grates.  i get the pan low in the egg just above the coals and do 45 sec per side with some butter.  the pan eliminates any fat drip flare ups, allows me to use a little butter and just gets a better sear in my opinion.

i know i'm not reinventing the wheel here but thought all these steps put together have resulted in my best cooks lately.  thanks for looking.

Comments