Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak - a simple pleasure.

I had a busy day today making Spanish Chorizo. It’s tucked away and fermenting. 
I thought I’d celebrate with a steak. My beautiful wife picks up prime NY strip steaks at Sam’s. 
First I fired up the oven. 

Went to the garden for carrots and salad. 

Got the carrots and potatoes in the oven. 

Enjoyed a cold beer.

Seared the steaks. I cooked them sous vide because I was lazy today. 

Plated and money shot. 

Not a bad day. Hope y’all had a good one too. Maybe someday we can enjoy meals with company again. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Stellar meal as always!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Mattman3969 Thank you!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • That’ll do!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Yum!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great cook, presentation and pics.
    Congrats. Glad you were able to drop in last night, always enjoyable.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I guess it's ok if you like this sorta thing. 

(Fantastic looking meal, and evening)
  • You diddint say what kind of meat it was. It could have been a awful big tree rat

either way, looks good
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fantastic, Gary!
    SciAggie said:
    PigBeanUs said:
    I guess it's ok if you like this sorta thing. 

It’s not squirrel but it’s all I had. 
    Squirrel.  I haven't had a good squirrel in six years.  Used to hunt them when I lived in PA, nice and fat.  I moved to FL, and the squirrels down here are pathetic and thin.
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• Great post as always. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Jeez, that looks amazing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You have done great work. It is a celebratory type of cook in my house for sure. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I need some lessons on growing carrots. I try every year and fail miserably. Great looking meal!
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Very nice meal...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• thetrim
    Did you SV the carrots too or just let them go the whole time in the oven? How long did it take and what was the approx temp? 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    That looks amazing.  The cook and the photos, as always, are top notch.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    I did not SV the carrots. I coated them lightly with olive oil and seasoned them. They roasted in the wood oven. I would say they cooked about 45 minutes. Maybe a bit more. I started them at around 425. They began to brown a bit so moved them to a cooler spot - probably about 350ish. They were probe tender when I pulled them. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    Thank you so much.  I SV'd some carrots tonight, and maybe I'll finish them tomorrow on the egg of Koda 16.  I appreciate the input.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stunning pics!
    When do y'all teach me the secret handshake?
    XL BGE, 36" Blackstone, and a Wah Wah pedal
    Williamsburg, VA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    SciAggie said:
    PigBeanUs said:

Well... according to Eddy's wife in Christmas Vacation, squirrel is high in cholesterol!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Oh for a second there, looking at the first few photos, I was like, "is he gonna cook the steak in the pizza oven??? Now I'm interested!"  LOL, I see you resorted to traditional methods.

But! Has anyone tried that ... some kind of steak in the pizza oven?? Maybe on a pan so all those oils don't stain the bricks??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • SciAggie
    @Mark_B_Good I have a Tuscan grill I can use to grill in the oven. It works great but I find no advantage over other methods. As far as staining the floor - a wood oven is the original self cleaning oven. Any food, drips, or other gets covered in coals after the cook. Come back in 30 minutes and push the coals back. You have a clean floor. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mark_B_Good
    SciAggie said:
    @Mark_B_Good I have a Tuscan grill I can use to grill in the oven. It works great but I find no advantage over other methods. As far as staining the floor - a wood oven is the original self cleaning oven. Any food, drips, or other gets covered in coals after the cook. Come back in 30 minutes and push the coals back. You have a clean floor. 
    No doubt, I have a nice pizza oven too. But I hear to be careful with even the wood you use, as the brick can absorb things and then that reproduces in the meal ... for instance, never use pine wood in a pizza oven ... so I'm thinking the same with steak juices? Although a steak flavored pizza doesn't sound THAT bad ... lol.

I'm just wondering to change it up, if anyone has tried an unusual steak recipe in a pizza oven??
  • SciAggie
    @Mark_B_Good I remember that you have an oven. It’s funny, other than pizzas and maybe a galette everything I cook is in a pan/skillet/pottery container. I often take coals from the oven to use under the Tuscan grill but I move the coals to my hearth and use them there. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mark_B_Good
    Yeah, I have this baby

Don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll stop now.

• SciAggie
    No hijack. That’s a nice oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Yeah, I have this baby

Don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll stop now.

What maake is it?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SciAggie said:
    I had a busy day today making Spanish Chorizo. It’s tucked away and fermenting. 
    I thought I’d celebrate with a steak. My beautiful wife picks up prime NY strip steaks at Sam’s. 
    Steaks look great and all, but does @YukonRon know about the two of you?!
  • briwald said:
    SciAggie said:
    PigBeanUs said:

Squirrel.  I haven't had a good squirrel in six years.  Used to hunt them when I lived in PA, nice and fat.  I moved to FL, and the squirrels down here are pathetic and thin.
    It’s the South Beach diet.