Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oven Mits / Grill Gloves recommendations

G_S
G_S Posts: 62
edited November 2020 in EggHead Forum

The topic of good / great kitchen knives come up often. But nothing about grill gloves / oven mitts 

I have a decent set of oven Mits.
But they are starting to wear out.

Christmas is around the corner.

I am grabbing a hot plate setter off a lite Green Egg, and getting hot plates out of the oven.  I do not think is the area to be cheap out on.....

So I wondering what is the go to / top teir. Grill Gloves or Oven Mitts?

Also I have small / medium size hands.
If that matters.
 It has to be able to be something I can use / manipulate, and just swallow my hand up it.

Answers

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I buy welding gloves. They are cheaper because they are not “grilling” gloves. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    I use The Ove Glove.  Works great. I can pick up the half moon cast iron grate with it hot no problem
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited November 2020
    ove gloves in the house.  harbor freight welding gloves outside.

and they always feel like you're wearing "oven mitts"  :D - and I'm not sure if sizing is an issue.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    +1 for welding gloves
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Like many things here everyone should be entitled to their opinion. Personally I have been burnt many times from using the seemingly popular welders gloves and switched years ago to scilicone ones. The only problem I have ever had with the latter is make sure your hands are not soaking wet as the heat will steam burn your hands!

Then the best advice any of us can give a newbie is plan in advance just where it is that you plan to sit DOWN whatever HOT item it is that you just picked up!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I have these. They work for everything I need. I got them as a gift, pretty sure from Amazon. 

Las Vegas, NV

• I have these. They work for everything I need. I got them as a gift, pretty sure from Amazon. 

I have these same ones.  I’d buy them again if they ever wear out. 
  • stv8r said:
    I use The Ove Glove.  Works great. I can pick up the half moon cast iron grate with it hot no problem

I'm not impressed with mine.  They seem to only give a few seconds of protection, then you feel the heat.  I found out the hard way they don't provide any protection if you accidentally slosh some hot liquid on them!

I'm interested in something different.  Please post if you have a specific silicon or welders glove you like.

Raleigh, NC