Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza, stone, parchment paper question

BlueOvalBruin
BlueOvalBruin Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody. Is there any culinary disadvantage to baking a pizza directly on parchment paper over a pizza stone? I know using parchment is a big advantage in terms of moving the pizzas around. But does the parchment paper degrade the quality of the pizza versus a regular pizza dough "bare-backed" on the piza stone? Thanks.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    BlueOvalBruin,[p]I recently shifted from corn-meal dusting on the stone to parchment. I prefere the parchment. While the corn meal adds a nice bit of texture, I often have a lot of burnt meal. So the parchment avoids that, and the crust seems every bit as crisp.[p]gdenby

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BlueOvalBruin,[p]I use a dry hot stone directly on top of the plate setter. Cornmeal is not necessary as the pizza frees up as it cooks and slides easily when done. Just requires putting the pie on right the first time as it will stick when moist. With practice this is easy.[p]With a piece of parchment paper, the cook is easy, but the dough does suffer a bit in finished quality. Just my opinion.[p]Spin
  • BlueOvalBruin,[p]I spinkle cornmeal on the parchment paper and then spread my dough. The cornmeal seems to ease the shaping of the dough.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    BlueOvalBruin,
    I used PP on my first try and the pizza did great....my only problem was that due to BEER, I did not bother to cut the paper to the stone size and of course it caught fire and stunk and kinda maybe burned a little spot on my gasket...so long story short....if and I mean if...you use PP ....please cut down to near the size of the stone

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Metalhead,
    please no funny comments PP=parchment paper [p]that post made me laugh at meself

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    BlueOvalBruin,[p]Parchment paper works just fine. Once you get the hang of keeping the dough from sticking to the peel, you'll probably get rid of the parchment paper (one less moving part, and a penny or two saved).[p]One thing that you can do with parchment paper is pull the paper out from under the pizza about half way through the bake. I use this method when baking bagels, regardless of whether the bagels are being baked in an oven or out on the Egg. [p]Good luck,
    Puj