Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt Steak

Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried a couple of Skirt Steaks ( thin and lean ) and they did not come out superior ( like I am used to with other meats )[p]Montreal Steak Seasoning was all that was added and tried 550 - 600 degrees for 2-2-3.[p]It was too tough. [p]Any suggestions????????/

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Cajun:[p]I use a double Jacard to tenderize prior to seasoning. Make sure you thin slice against the grain.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Cajun,
    You are cooking them correctly. However, Skirt Steaks need to be marinated overnight to help tenderize them. You can also pound them with a meat-tenderizing hammer. The texture is chewy but not tough. Stick with it because when you do get right you will in for a treat. Skirt steaks are a favorite of mine.[p]Take a look at the Cinco De Mayo Fajita recipe that I posted for an idea on the marinade. Instead of slicing the meat just leave it whole and server it as a steak. I love to complete the meal with some rice and black beans. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Cajun,[p]I've used skirt steak for fajitas. The fajita marinade should have tequila, fresh lime juice, fresh garlic, and whatever else you want in it! I usually add sea salt, black pepper, cumin and chopped jalopeno. Marinade overnight, and cook like you would normally cook a steak (although, since it's a pretty think steak, use a shorter dwell). Serve with warm flour tortillas, sour cream, grated cheese, lettuce, grilled or stir fried peppers and onions, and whatever else you like in fajitas.

• BluesnBBQ,
    A true skirt steak is very thin cut of meat. I think in different parts of the country, they may use a London Broil or a Flank steak.. I dont know which type he had.. But yes, marinade it and cut across the grain, also if you take it anywhere past med-rare, its going to be tough, the rarer the better... [p]Dylan