Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a griddle for Christmas

Options
Hi everyone! My wife has decided she wants to gift me with a griddle this Christmas. I’m well versed on Blackstone. It’s mainly just the wife and me, but if family comes in, it could be eight or so to cook for. So, one....size suggestions and two...are there other brands I should take a look at?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I only have experience with Blackstone so nothing to add on your second question. For size, I have the 36” but often only use a couple/few burners. If real estate for storing it is not an issue I think having the capacity to cook for more is worth it. It’s also nice to have a hot side and a warm side to keep things like grilled onions warm on while you finish cooking the rest. My guess is that the smaller sizes have a more uniform temperature across the griddle surface. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    I have a 28” which work great for the wife and I.  Also, has seemed to be okay for six.  But if Santa thinks you have been good enough for a 36”, why not.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've cooked weekly for my softball team with my 17" Blackstone. Not ideal but I can make it work. You have to get creative.

I cook for my wife and I at home with the 36" Blackstone. I use the whole 36" Blackstone surface all the time. Still big enough where you don't have to become creative but it can be tight sometimes. Especially with breakfast items. 

I 100% suggest the 36" if you have the room. If I can feed a softball with a 17" the 28" would also work for the two of you. Nothing like a little extra room with the 36" though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’m thinking about a 28” with air fryer.  I’ve seen good reviews on both the 28 & 36 with the AF 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Only two burners on the 28". Four on the larger one. With the 36" you get to manipulate the temps a lot better. And there is a need for the real estate some meals. If space and budget are available I strongly suggest the 36" I have owned both. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    The 17” has two burners but only one control dial.  Like Weber, I can make it work, but it’s definitely worth having a bigger one.  Heck, get two! The 17” for camping and the 36” for home. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    edited November 2020
    Options
    This is the one I got for my birthday this summer. Love it. The side burners and the fry basket are an added bonus. 
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Range-Top-Combo-28-Griddle-with-Bonus-Fryer/806171984
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I've cooked weekly for my softball team with my 17" Blackstone. Not ideal but I can make it work. You have to get creative.

I cook for my wife and I at home with the 36" Blackstone. I use the whole 36" Blackstone surface all the time. Still big enough where you don't have to become creative but it can be tight sometimes. 
    This has me 1,000% confused.
    But I don't have room for a sammich press, so no big deal.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:

I cook for my wife and I at home with the 36" Blackstone. I use the whole 36" Blackstone surface all the time. Still big enough where you don't have to become creative but it can be tight sometimes. 
    This has me 1,000% confused.
    But I don't have room for a sammich press, so no big deal.  
    That goes for about 99% of things I write...

You can cook for a softball team with a 17" if needed. (It happens weekly after softball games in the summer) I can manage to run out of room on my 36" cooking just cooking for my wife and I at home. Both will get the job done but you need to get a little more creative if you go with a smaller griddle. The 36" isn't the perfect I'll never run out of room griddle either. If he has the room for the 36" it's the clear winner but I wouldn't rule out something smaller if he doesn't have the room for a 3' griddle. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota