Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey prices

local turkey farm i go to its 65 bucks this year for a 16 pounder. local market basket is 11 dollars. 
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What is your conclusion so I can concur or disagree?
    edited November 2020
    Does the local farm give you the bird alive, or dressed and ready to cook?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    What is your conclusion so I can concur or disagree?

one of those is not 54 dollars more bettah :o  its about double the price from the last few years. maybe the turkey jerker needed a raise or caught covid, yes thats a thing and im assuming thats a job thats hard to fill
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman

this is dressed. roasted its 102 dollars
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022

Yikes!  I should raise Turkeys.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman

Yikes!  I should raise Turkeys.

even at that price there will be a half hour plus wait in line unless covid plays ts part
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I always stock up on a few small frozen turkeys this time of year. Our local grocer will normally run them @ $0.99 a pound. The family usually gets a "name brand" bird for the holiday feast. Honestly I like the bargain birds. They only taste bad if I mess it up. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    SciAggie said:
    I always stock up on a few small frozen turkeys this time of year. Our local grocer will normally run them @ $0.99 a pound. The family usually gets a "name brand" bird for the holiday feast. Honestly I like the bargain birds. They only taste bad if I mess it up. 

.69 at the local grocer right now, maybe buy the xmas bird as well
    fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @fishlessman $0.69 is pretty cheap protein.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    SciAggie said:
    @fishlessman $0.69 is pretty cheap protein.

theres some crazy prices right now, picking up a few cans of coffee this morning and eggs are 1.11 per dozen
    fukahwee maine

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Kroger has $0.33/lb with $25 purchase, starting tomorrow. Local farm is $3/lb, dressed.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • nolaegghead
    We are so poor after Trump lost the election we're just going to have some very diluted turkey broth that we will be dipping our fingers in to eat.  Also having to sell about 7 chainsaws and everything we own as I lost my job mere hours after the MSM announced the election.  Except I'm keeping my guns, of course.  Not going to be happy living in the cardboard box, especially SWMBO.  Giving a lot of consideration moving to some place like Hawaii or Alaska where they don't have a liberal president.  I'm going to discuss it with everyone on Parler where people are smart and the buffalo don't roam, if ya get my drift.
    after seeing a dozen eggs for $1.11, ive decided i can eat some and throw the rest. cant afford cement milkshakes =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    after seeing a dozen eggs for $1.11, ive decided i can eat some and throw the rest. cant afford cement milkshakes =)

Eggs are good for dogs.  Problem solved.
    Last time I looked they were 99¢ a doz at Aldi. Not exactly "farm fresh" though. Kinda pale yellow.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Thanks Creepy Uncle Joe
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Generic turkeys here in Colorado are 57 cents per pound at King Soopers (Kroger).

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude said:
    Generic turkeys here in Colorado are 57 cents per pound at King Soopers (Kroger).
    My Kings had them for 57 cents/lb too for their Kroger brand but they were all huge and around 18+ lbs. I ended up picking up a 14 lb butterball for $1.99 a lb which was the smallest i could find. I'm thinking our crowd will be very small this year so I just could get myself to get one that big. I love leftovers but it seems the small ones are going fast this year. I'm guessing most people won't be having big crowds but I could be wrong.
    Parker, Colorado
  • maybe consider a utility turkey......might get a third leg  =)
    Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • SciAggie said:
    I always stock up on a few small frozen turkeys this time of year.
    I saw an article that turkey producers were worried that because of COVID, people were planning smaller gatherings/groups, which means people will be buying smaller turkeys or perhaps just turkey breasts.   Not sure what this means to overall prices.

Raleigh, NC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    rekameohs said:
    SciAggie said:
    I always stock up on a few small frozen turkeys this time of year.
    I saw an article that turkey producers were worried that because of COVID, people were planning smaller gatherings/groups, which means people will be buying smaller turkeys or perhaps just turkey breasts.   Not sure what this means to overall prices.

I was in Aldi yesterday and the only Butterball turkeys they had left must have been 17+ pounds. Not that I was complaining any. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • A farmer/small processor near me is getting $5/lb.  He can't keep up with the demand.  I could almost understand it if it was a heritage breed but for a broad breasted white?  I'll pass, thanks.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    A farmer/small processor near me is getting $5/lb.  He can't keep up with the demand.  I could almost understand it if it was a heritage breed but for a broad breasted white?  I'll pass, thanks.

the expensive farm here its broad breasted white as well. more breast meat than what i see at the grocery but still
    fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516

WHHHAAATT??? I'd be eating two BIG tomahawk steaks for that price!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    the farm down the street is down to 30 pounds and larger right now. a 30 pounder goes for 122.00 dollars and the line outside is a 3 hour wait. people are insane
    fukahwee maine

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    I paid $83 bucks for a 13 pound Diestel Organic turkey. Not that price sensitive for something I buy 1-2 per year.
    Mountain View, CA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    $4/lb from local butcher for a fresh bird here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    dmourati said:
    I paid $83 bucks for a 13 pound Diestel Organic turkey. Not that price sensitive for something I buy 1-2 per year.
    its just the typical broad breasted white found in every supermarket for under a buck a pound. would you drive for three hours in a covid line down a country road for it :D
    fukahwee maine

• Picked up free range never frozen "premium turkey" from local butcher.  $63 for 18lb.  Not sure of breed and realize free range is not all it is cracked up to be, but I like it is not injected with anything, especially salt solution.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm not suggesting anyone here will overcook their Turkey, but it's almost a shame that people will spend big bucks on these boutique turkeys and ruin them by overcooking, then go back to serving up Stouffers frozen lasagna etc the rest of the year.