Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: When We Go High

https://news.gallup.com/poll/323582/support-legal-marijuana-inches-new-high.aspx

Amazing to me how quickly public opinion has turned on this issue. 

This thread need not be political either.  In fact this might be less problematic than the Pfizer thread, I'm not sure.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    This thread need not be political either. 
    I learned, early on, that statement is a forum equivalent of telling someone, "You should wear a facemask..."  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mississippi passed medical marijuana this election with my vote being yes.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    We do seem to have reached a tipping point in the last few years but it certainly hasn't been an "overnight success". I've been donating a few bucks most years to NORML since I was in high school in the 1970's and it is nice to finally see enough attitudes changing so that the stupid war on drugs might become history. I will say that this has taken a lot longer than I thought but better later than never.
    Still a lot of work to be done at the federal level tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I have a good friend from high school who did jail time - he was locked up for over a year - for the crime of simply being unwilling to rat out his dealer to the cops.  

He was lucky that when he got out we were in the middle of the tech boom and he knew how to code, so he landed a good job right out of jail.  But many many others are not so lucky.  

• Due to a genetic blood lipid issue I have been taking a medication for 25 years that puts a strain on my liver. That means that I have to severely limit alcohol and fat consumption. Cannabis edibles would be nice but I don’t see my state being that reasonable within my lifespan.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    If nothing else enforcement consumes way too much of the limited LEO/judiciary resources that could be put to much better use. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    At 60 years old I never expected to see it legal nation wide in my lifetime, and still don't.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    No news there.  Given the trend there is no reason to think it would lessen.  Once again State's rights- and that will evolve over time.
    Moved to the greater L'ville area in 1998-live in a dry county (fortunately worked in a wet county and the county line liquor store did great business).  Within 10 years the dry county sorted out the $$ and switched gears-by vote, not executive fiat.  
    Of course the state totally lags any hint of becoming forward thinking in my life-time.  Medical or more marijuana relaxations may be a bit out there but no worries with meth!
    Horse racing for the win here but I want a sports book without having to visit Indiana, although that road trip is quite easy to make.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legalize and tax it, and penalize it like drinking and driving. Problem solved. But that’s my limit, no other drugs should be legalized. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legalize and tax it, and penalize it like drinking and driving. Problem solved. But that’s my limit, no other drugs should be legalized. 
    I think that's an entirely reasonable position here.  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Legalize and tax it, and penalize it like drinking and driving. Problem solved. But that’s my limit, no other drugs should be legalized. 
    That is what we have done here (not real sure where the tax money is going though, supposed to go to schools). I will say, anecdotally, that it very rare that I arrest someone with meth, heroin, crack, etc...that doesn't also have other, more "serious" priors. You can almost trace their drug use.

Oregon just decriminalization all drugs under a certain amount. The penalty is now a $100 civil fine and/or addiction screening. There is no money built into their new laws for rehab, only the screening. I don't think that is going to work out how they think it will. But what do I know?
    Las Vegas, NV

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Legalize and tax it, and penalize it like drinking and driving. Problem solved. But that’s my limit, no other drugs should be legalized. 
    That is what we have done here (not real sure where the tax money is going though, supposed to go to schools). I will say, anecdotally, that it very rare that I arrest someone with meth, heroin, crack, etc...that doesn't also have other, more "serious" priors. You can almost trace their drug use.

Oregon just decriminalization all drugs under a certain amount. The penalty is now a $100 civil fine and/or addiction screening. There is no money built into their new laws for rehab, only the screening. I don't think that is going to work out how they think it will. But what do I know?
    Agree, wo rehab you are just changing where they end up.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Oregon and other states are looking to or have legalized some other narcotics, besides cannabis. Michigan, Illinois and other states have seen some outstanding returns on their meager transitions. 
    Once the states ok it, it is up to the counties how and to sell it. Even in places like Colorado, Washington, California, and even Oregon, can sell it as medicinal or recreational, both or not at all.
    Long time coming, even longer to be universal as a domestic product.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    That's what we do here. Canada legalized in October 2018 and I honestly have not noticed anything different other than it being much easier to buy quality bud. The biggest worry I have is that now edibles are legal and they package it in a way that would look appealing to a child. A small package of Strawberry gummie bears that a four year old found could have serious consequences.
    Put them in pill bottles or something. 
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Just be careful if someone offers you something at a BBQ cookout.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    thetrim said:
    Just be careful if someone offers you something at a BBQ cookout.  
    #BestBrowniesEver
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Legalize them all. That would also allow for useful research into the many benefits many of these substances possess. We're finding that some shrooms and MDMA can be useful in treating PTSD.
    Get the Feds out of the way of doctors treating patients with painkillers, etc., etc.
    No doubt some folks will develop problems with some of these substances (just like with alcohol, cigarettes, twinkies, donuts, etc.) but offering treatment rather than incarceration will save many billions of dollars and ruin far fewer lives.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I think they should go after big Pharma and the docs who push opiates.  Throw that whole lot in jail.  If legalizing Marijuana can reduce opiate use at all, then I would see that as a net positive.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Legalize & tax. Zero tolerance in the workplace. Prove to me where the tax money is going. Saw the CNBC episode on it with Marcus Lemonis. California taxes weren’t going where they were supposed to 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    keener75 said:
    The biggest worry I have is that now edibles are legal and they package it in a way that would look appealing to a child. A small package of Strawberry gummie bears that a four year old found could have serious consequences.
    Put them in pill bottles or something. 
    Sadly, we in yankeeville still market detergent that way...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hmmmm....tastes like...earwax.
    ColbyLang said:
    Legalize & tax. Zero tolerance in the workplace. Prove to me where the tax money is going. Saw the CNBC episode on it with Marcus Lemonis. California taxes weren’t going where they were supposed to 
    The taxes never go where they promise.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Money goes into the general fund, so you are looking for marked bills or a budget increase in an area?  Saying funds are specifically earmarked is marketing.  If a state is running a deficit, doesn't that money first pay it down?  

Just screwing with everyones' heads here. 🤪
    edited November 2020
    I have experienced some legal dispensaries in NV and Colorado they edibles are damn hard to open.  I don’t really see kids being able to get into them and they are expensive enough I don’t see a reasonable person getting careless.  Note I said reasonable.  Biggest issue I see is there isn’t a way to test intoxication like with alcohol.  You could have THC a few days prior and it still show on a blood panel.  Go on a bender drinking and less than 24 hours your body clears it out. 

*edited for my horrible grammar/spelling 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    My issue is their inability to keep it out of schools.  Even while being illegal, due to the easy concealability wax pens and edibles are all over the schools.  It is an extension of the vaping issue.  Back in the day you had to be committed to sneaking a smoke, and even then you still smelled.  Kids can hit a vape in class while the teacher has their back turned.
  • My issue is their inability to keep it out of schools.  Even while being illegal, due to the easy concealability wax pens and edibles are all over the schools.  It is an extension of the vaping issue.  Back in the day you had to be committed to sneaking a smoke, and even then you still smelled.  Kids can hit a vape in class while the teacher has their back turned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXb7do9C-w
  • My issue is their inability to keep it out of schools.  Even while being illegal, due to the easy concealability wax pens and edibles are all over the schools.  It is an extension of the vaping issue.  Back in the day you had to be committed to sneaking a smoke, and even then you still smelled.  Kids can hit a vape in class while the teacher has their back turned.
    Before COVID, I was on a flight in a window seat with an open middle, and then a younger (late teens or early 20s) girl at the aisle.  While boarding, I overheard her conversation on the phone telling someone they kicked her out of rehab and she was coming home, really needed money for pills because the pain is so bad, etc.  Then during the entire flight, she was vaping every time the flight attendant wasn't looking.  I didn't say anything because a) I'm not a Karen, b) she wasn't bothering me, and c) the girl probably was going to lose it without getting a fix.  So yeah, if you can get away with it on a plane, I'm sure you can get away with it during math class.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2020
    My issue is their inability to keep it out of schools.  Even while being illegal, due to the easy concealability wax pens and edibles are all over the schools.  It is an extension of the vaping issue.  Back in the day you had to be committed to sneaking a smoke, and even then you still smelled.  Kids can hit a vape in class while the teacher has their back turned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXb7do9C-w
    Not sure what you are saying here.  That PSA is typical of the 80s just say no mentality.  And overly simplifies a complex and devastating problem.  People use drugs regardless of their upbringing.  It impacts all walks of life.