Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smallest Egg for beer can chicken?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to buy the smallest Egg to cook for two, and beer can chicken is a must.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Hamilton,
    I think the small would fit that requirement. Don't think a mini will handle a beer can chicken, though it would fit lying down.

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Hamilton,
    Get the small. I cook beercan chicken, spatchcocked chicken all the time. Can cook 4 good sized steaks and plenty of porkchops easily. Also do 12 inch pizzas very well. You can also cook a small boston butt for pulled pork if you want and ribs as well although you may have to cut them in half to do them. You wont regret the small.

• Hamilton,
    The small will be plenty. I've done Beercan chicken, 10 # prime rib, small picnic shoulder (refilled the lump at 16 hours though), pork loins, ribs, burgers, bread, small pizza, fish, etc.[p]I don't have a mini, but I don't think it would be worth it. For me, the small is a portable brick oven. I take it camping, across country to reletives houses, football tailgating, and even to work for a parking lot BBQ lunch (filet mignon)[p]

• Great, thanks guy, that's all I needed to hear - the "small" it is!

• Hamilton,
    Before you spring for a small, you haven't mentioned if you might want to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or if you would ever want to do a large pizza, or perhaps cook up a mess of wings. You need to consider if a 13" grid will provide enough space to cook "flat" food which occupies grid space vs. occupying volume.[p]One of the things I found when I got my Egg is that you can do almost anything on it, and after you cook a few hundred chickens, you might decide you want to try some of the other crazy things you see people here cooking. [p]And of course, will you ever entertain? Will you ever want to cook for a group? I once was asked to cook 4 butts for a women's homeless shelter, for example. [p]Good luck, whatever you end up getting!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hey Whiz, you're right, I didn't mention my grills. I have an offset, WSM, Weber kettle (totally wore out), and Bar-B-Chef grill, but no Eggs. The small Egg will make a fine addition....I just gotta find one local.[p]Thanks for the help. You got a great website and I've been hitting it pretty heavy. lol

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Hamilton,
    get a large and you won't bother with the others.[p]no kidding.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Found a small yesterday and went to buy it. I asked about a platesetter and found out they don't list them in the catalog, so...I bought the medium Egg. hee hee