Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing some ribs for a big party my friend is having this weekend. (In Tampa we take a day to celebrate a mythical pirate invasion of the city and call it Gasparilla) Outdoor party along the parade route w/ lots of food and I thought baby backs might be a better choice for the occasion. I am pretty confident w/ spare ribs using the 3-1-1 method at 230 degrees. However, I have never done baby backs in my XL and wondering about adjustments I need to make on time, temperture, technique plus any general advice. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Liledblues,
    I think you'll find BB don't take quite as long spares. I typically go about 4 hours or so.(each rack is different of course) I use an shorten 3-1-1. More like a 2-1-45min to 1. Same temp. though. Try tweakin' it yourself and see what you like. That is the best part about the egg!![p]Wobbly pops to ya,
    PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Liledblues,
    Have fun. I will be hiding in Odessa on Sat. Unless you have a house to be at, its a zoo over there.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Liledblues,[p]I don't have experience with the XL, but I just cooked BB ribs lately in 15 degree weather. Instead of the usual 5-6 hours, they took 7! I think maybe it's because the egg cooled off quite a bit when I opened it for spritzing the ribs.[p]Moral of the story - don't take them off until they're done!![p]Chuck
  • HungryMan,
    You couldn't drag me down there if I didn't have a nice place to crash. Even so I wish there were a game to watch instead of a parade (though it can get interesting). Thanks to all for the comments. I guess I'll just need to watch them. I didn't want to find out after the fact they usually only need 2 hours. Still, the Egg makes it hard to mess up. I'll make a report. Thanks again.