Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Sausage- Jambalaya

Options
I was gifted a rope of "Mild Smoked Sausage" as a belated b-day gift and I want to smoke it and use some of it in jambalaya. I saw some previous threads on here about different ways you need to smoke the sausage depending on if it's cured or not. The Butcher did not mention that this sausage was cured, but instead said that it was "smoked" so it's about halfway cooked, and I just need to cook the rest of the way. Any recommendations on how best to smoke this sausage? 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I would cut off a small piece and fry it in a pan to taste to determine the existing smoke level and whether you want to add some more.  You will be browning it and cooking it in the jambalaya, so I wouldn't worry about the degree to that it is cooked now - just worry about whether it has enough smoke on it for your taste.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    if you do add smoke, spritz it with a little water to help the new smoke stick. Smoke loves moisture and hates smooth dry surfaces.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HenryGE
    HenryGE Posts: 10
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I would cut off a small piece and fry it in a pan to taste to determine the existing smoke level and whether you want to add some more.  You will be browning it and cooking it in the jambalaya, so I wouldn't worry about the degree to that it is cooked now - just worry about whether it has enough smoke on it for your taste.
    Good plan. I was thinking it would be nice to have grilled/smoked sausage that I could add in just before adding the rice and broth, as opposed to browning the sausage in the pot. I'll happily give it a taste though 
  • HenryGE
    HenryGE Posts: 10
    Options
    Fried up a couple of small pieces yesterday, this sausage is delicious. I think I'm going to use half of the rope in Jambalaya (cooked into the Jambalaya instead of smoked separately) and then smoke the other, maybe quarter, and then see which option I liked better for the final quarter... 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    requisite photo

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI