Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thai chicken sausage with Red Nahm Jim

We made some Thai chicken sausage on Wednesday with chicken thigh, salt, pepper, Thai basil, mint cilantro, garlic, ginger, and lime zest and dehydrated sriracha dust from fermented sriracha mash. We were able to taste a patty before we cased them up and were pretty excited about the possibilities. We cooked these sous vide at 167 for an hour then charred them up on the BGE. 

We served this with Red Nahm Jim (fish sauce, Thai chilis, palm sugar, lime juice) over rice. 

These were delicious and the Nahm Jim May be my favorite condiment on the planet right now. 

Linked up: 

Red Nahm Jim:

Out of the sous vide and into the fire:

All charred up and ready to go:

Plated up with rice, cucumber, and Nahm Jim:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    That looks amazing! Give me all of that.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2020
    Totally Legit for a mullet sporting egger. 😜

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I’m starting the car
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Totally Legit for a mullet sporting egger. 😜
    Had a little maintenance done on the Kentucky waterfall this afternoon  She’s tamed up a little but she’s still a beaut. I’m digging it. 
  • 20stone said:
    I’m starting the car
    I only did this to have leverage to swap for my share of Caliking’s tandoriwurst. 
  • That looks incredible.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Mad skills right there.  I would crush that.  Dang!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That looks crazy good. I think it’s cool to watch how your skills in different areas come together over time in new dishes. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    WOW, now I want to learn how to make sausage.  The flavor profile sounds amazing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Did you create your own recipe? Care to share?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    The sauce in particular

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired said:
    The sauce in particular
    We did make up the sausage from scratch. The nahm
    jim is ours too but based on other recipes we have tried and one of our favorite restaurants. It took a few years to get dialed in but it’s now as good as any we have had. We use the fancy barrel aged fish sauce and that makes a huge difference. I'll post the recipe once I have it all written down. 
  • Dawgtired
    Thanks...look forward to trying your recipe

Ronald Reagan

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited October 2020
    Winner winner chicken sausage dinner! Those look and sound awesome. I've had Thai sausage on my mind for a while too. 

What grind settings did you use for these?  Never had great chicken sausage, but that's probably because I never had really great chicken sausage. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Winner winner chicken sausage dinner! Those look and sound awesome. I've had Thai sausage on my mind for a while too. 

What grind settings did you use for these?  Never had great chicken sausage, but that's probably because I never had really great chicken sausage. 

It was the small die on Jones Lem #12 grinder. Not sure what that is. We used 100% thigh with no added fat and it bound up great. We also used Non-Fat Dry Mil on recommendation of @lkapigian it ended up being more hot dog like in texture rather than bratwurst like. Not sure if that's from the chicken, or the binder but they were awesome.  Reminded me a lot of the Thai Green Curry Chicken Sausage at Loro (except our Nahm Jim is better).
  • smbishop said:
    WOW, now I want to learn how to make sausage.  The flavor profile sounds amazing!

it was really good. I'll write it all down when I have time to get it all in once place. That was a fun way to use all the sausage gear and we made it all up on the fly. That was pretty fun too.
  • lkapigian
    caliking said:

It was the small die on Jones Lem #12 grinder. Not sure what that is. We used 100% thigh with no added fat and it bound up great. We also used Non-Fat Dry Mil on recommendation of @lkapigian it ended up being more hot dog like in texture rather than bratwurst like. Not sure if that's from the chicken, or the binder but they were awesome.  Reminded me a lot of the Thai Green Curry Chicken Sausage at Loro (except our Nahm Jim is better).
    The #12 small die that comes with the grinder is 4.5 MM, I got the 6 mm for small grind stuff, the 4.5 is a big jump from the 10 for an not to course not to fine 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    smbishop said:

it was really good. I'll write it all down when I have time to get it all in once place. That was a fun way to use all the sausage gear and we made it all up on the fly. That was pretty fun too.
    You don’t say...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian said:
    caliking said:

The #12 small die that comes with the grinder is 4.5 MM, I got the 6 mm for small grind stuff, the 4.5 is a big jump from the 10 for an not to course not to fine 
    Cool. I’ll grab one. 
  • lkapigian
    Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 
    -1/2 bunch cilantro stems (= to Fresno)

1/2 cup lime juice (4 juicy limes)
    1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Stir vigorously to melt sugar and give it 30 min for flavors to blend
    Thanks my friend 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 

1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Thanks my friend 
    Just FYI- the Thai recipe calls for cilantro root or stems if you don’t have root. We used store bought so it didn’t have roots. If you have a garden with cilantro, throw some root in there. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 

1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Thanks for posting.  Going from Three Crabs to Red Boat was a big improvement for me, must resist the barrel aged fish sauce  :)

btw, not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, what quantity of chicken is the recipe for? 
    canuckland
  • Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 

1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Thanks for posting.  Going from Three Crabs to Red Boat was a big improvement for me, must resist the barrel aged fish sauce  :)

btw, not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, what quantity of chicken is the recipe for? 
    The sausage recipe is separate from the Nahm JIm. This sauce is awesome in everything. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    To say I feel dumb is an understatement :)
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have no words. . .  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 

1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Thanks for the recipe
    since I can't get Fresno chilis in this 1 horse town
    I'll try subbing jalapeños 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr said:
    Red Nahm Jim recipe. 

Finely chop:
    -1 clove garlic
    -2 seeded Fresno chili 

1/3 cup fish sauce
    1/4 cup Sugar 

Thanks for the recipe
    since I can't get Fresno chilis in this 1 horse town
    I'll try subbing jalapeños 

yep- serranos are very similar to the Thai Birdseye chilis that are normally used in this recipe. Any hot chili will work.