Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Habanero Experiment

Options
4oz of habs, cut stem off, cut in half, deseeded with grapefruit spoon, soaked in 7up 3 hrs, drained and into a bowl of water
for yet to be an hour . . . will see if this method took enough heat out for my liking (lightweight)  :s

aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    You have to let us know how this turns out!!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    What does the 7up do for it? I've read about rinsing or soaking in water to reduce the heat. Never heard of 7up.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    took a small bite after the water soak, still a little to hot for me, so into a 2nd soak with with a fresh 7up
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    What does the 7up do for it? I've read about rinsing or soaking in water to reduce the heat. Never heard of 7up.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-take-the-heat-out-of-any-chile-pepper-article

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Be sure to post your results. I love the fruitiness of Habanero but I can't take the heat as an everyday table pepper to eat.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If you want to mess with hab's then give this thread a look.

OT: Habanero and Roasted Garlic Salsa    

Everything you could ask for and more!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    after the 2nd soak in 7up, i found them still too spicy for my taste.
    into a 3rd soak in 7up

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Asking sincerely, why not try a different pepper that has less heat and doesn't light you up as much? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Wow, what a good idea. Does the sweetness of the 7 up alter the taste to something more flavorful?  Or do you rinse off the 7 up after?

What about other pops to soak them in like ginger-ale or the darker drinks like coke or root beer??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jeez man, just buy some bell peppers! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    thinking that 7up might be good as an ingredient in a steak kebob recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I would’ve guessed Dr Pepper
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Milk is supposed to cool your tongue, wonder if it'd work on the peppers?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Options
    soak them in salted water for 14 days, chop them up fine in a food processor, then strain the juice into hot sauce bottles and serve. make a hot guava jelly glaze for ribs with them.  eat a scotch bonnet first then the habaneros =) if the scotch bonnets too hot eat a ghost first, then a scotch, then the hab
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    Are there tamed varieties of habs, like there are for jalapeños, or maybe the market isn’t nearly as large so nobody has bothered yet.
  • Legume
    Options
    This article says to soak in alcohol.  Also mentions a heat-free variety or cross.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-habanero-peppers-less-spicy
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Are there tamed varieties of habs, like there are for jalapeños, or maybe the market isn’t nearly as large so nobody has bothered yet.

ajicito peppers look like habenaros and are not hot

Aj dulce  WorldCrops

fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Botch said:
    Milk is supposed to cool your tongue, wonder if it'd work on the peppers?  
    Coconut milk to be precise!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • SciAggie
    Options
    For me - eating something so hot that I then need to consume something else to relieve the heat makes about as much sense as hitting myself in the head with a hammer to get a headache, then taking aspirin to ease the headache.
    But that's just me. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER CHALLENGE GONE WRONG - CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER - 22  MILLION SCOVILLE UNITS animated gif
    Options
    WORLDS HOTTEST PEPPER CHALLENGE GONE WRONG - CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER - 22  MILLION SCOVILLE UNITS on Make a GIF
    Options
    Legume said:
    There are but why? They introduced low heat jalapeños and now it’s hard to get actual hot ones.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    caliking said:
    Asking sincerely, why not try a different pepper that has less heat and doesn't light you up as much? 
    I wanted to try this technique to see if there's anything too it.
    HIMO . . . each chili has it's each individual flavor
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Wow, what a good idea. Does the sweetness of the 7 up alter the taste to something more flavorful?  Or do you rinse off the 7 up after?

What about other pops to soak them in like ginger-ale or the darker drinks like coke or root beer??
    I didn't notice any sweetness of the 7up.
    I used 7up because that is what I found in this url
    https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-take-the-heat-out-of-any-chile-pepper-article
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Jeez man, just buy some bell peppers! =)
    Iike I responded to you on greeneggers forum, each chili has their own flavor
    and I wanted to see if this technique works
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Legume said:
    This article says to soak in alcohol.  Also mentions a heat-free variety or cross.

Have you tried this method?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • loco_engr
    Options

Results of the habanero experiment . . . after the many soaks in 7up didn't take enough heat out for my comfort zone.
    Will try soaking in Tequila & see if that works
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Legume
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Legume said:

Have you tried this method?
    Nope, just googled the questions I was asking here and found it.
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    There are but why? They introduced low heat jalapeños and now it’s hard to get actual hot ones.
    I haven’t had a problem finding regular-heat jalapeños, but the heat varies quite a bit batch to batch, season to season.  Maybe it’s regional as well.

habaneros have a nice flavor, different from other peppers you can buy, but the heat gets overpowering for most people, that would be why.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've been looking for a rotovap for a while.  You can pull the pepper aroma out of the pepper (leaving behind the capsaicin).

Not suggesting anyone spend the money on this equipment, just posting for educational purposes.

https://jetcitygastrophysics.com/2012/02/10/rotary-evaporation-in-the-emerald-city/