Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harvesting n Freezing

With the threat of nightly temps getting down into the mid 30s we went ahead and started cleaning up the herb garden and vac packin the goodies for some good winter eats.  

Left to right - Purple Sweet Basil, Sweet Basil, Lemongrass and Thai Basil.  The basil will loose some of its color and texture but the fresh taste will still be there.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    So you just freeze it straight off the vine?  Do you wash it or dry it first?  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    We did wash n dry the basil. Pulled leaves, washed in a colander then into a salad spinner. Finally we dumped on several dish towels to air dry a bit.  The lemongrass just got wiped off after the outer layers were removed. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Very cool, I have never thought of freezing herbs. I always just disposed of them. What are they like when you that? Soggy/limp? Any difference in taste it aroma?
  • Mattman3969
    @onpoint456 - the basil will be limp but still carry the fresh flavor. The lemongrass will be very close to how it is the day you pick it.  

analyze adapt overcome

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    Very cool, I have never thought of freezing herbs. I always just disposed of them. What are they like when you that? Soggy/limp? Any difference in taste it aroma?
    Dehydrator my friend, I never expected to be using mine as much as I do.

basil turns really dark frozen but the flavor still pops in sauces and soups. should have tossed mine in this weekend. have had luck replanting the lemon grass in doors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    @fishlessman - good to know on the lemongrass. We generally have oregano,basil and rosemary inside by the basement doors for quick use but it is always spendly and doesn’t produce nearly enough for the winter.  Might try some grow lights this year. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    If I remember correctly @Dredger grew most of the herbs she needed year round with grow lights. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I half expected this to be useful information for a visit to a sperm bank.  I was half wrong.
    Elijah said:
    If I remember correctly @Dredger grew most of the herbs she needed year round with grow lights. 
    I miss @Dredger. Anyone ever hear from her? I know she was having some major health issues a while back. Hope she is still among us.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow