Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie - Show us your work

Options
We need a place for our dry cure, fermented sausage, and whole muscle projects. This is meant to be like the Lacto-fermentation thread - a place to share, ask questions, and show us what’s going on in your kitchen, cave, or curing chamber. 

I’ll start with my curing chamber (since I don’t have a cave). Many thanks to @lkapigian for his patience and expert advice as I worked over my freezer. 

I finally obtained a 13 cu ft frost free freezer. I added an ITC-308 temp controller and an IHC-200 humidity controller, both manufactured by Inkbird. I added a dehumidifier by Seavon and a small electronics cooling fan for air circulation. 

Here are a few pics of the process:
here’s the basic freezer. 

I had to remove a panel and find a place to drill a hole so that I could run the temp and humidity probes into the freezer. I also needed to run out the power cord for the dehumidifier and the fan. 

Next, I drilled the hole being careful not to run into anything important, lol

Once the hole was made, it was just a matter of running the wires and then filling the void well with insulation. 

Now it’s ready to accept my first project.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,757
    Options
    There is a lot of excellent cured meats on this Forum , @stike would be proud...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is going to be epic!  (Actually heard briefly from stike today)
    Options
    This is going to be fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon You need to follow this and give wine recommendations for the different meats and sausages...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Oh, man, I was juuuuuust escaping this.

Sexy hole punches in your setup.  As nuts as I went on everything else, I just slid the wires through the hinge side.

Nice to see a lot of folks going uncooked.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone If I can corrupt (or re-corrupt?) someone - that’s the forum equivalent of paying it forward...
    On a related note - I went into a Mexican market in Dallas this weekend and they had whole hog legs for sale...
    Maybe a project for a later date...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @20stone If I can corrupt (or re-corrupt?) someone - that’s the forum equivalent of paying it forward...
    On a related note - I went into a Mexican market in Dallas this weekend and they had whole hog legs for sale...
    You're a menace.

As for the leg, for curing I would get as awesome a leg as you can find.  With a little lead time, I could source one from my guy and drop it off your way.  Alternatively, in your neck of the woods, I'll bet there's an FFA hog that might hang nicely.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,960
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I don’t want to speak for Jones, but We have a way better source for pig meat. We can take a picture of them happily eating in the field with piggy friends on their very worst (last)  day. Commodity pig meat is the enemy of good food. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @20stone I honestly agree about the quality. For the amount of time a leg has to hang, only the highest quality would be worth it. The one I saw did get me thinking though. 

You’re right about the FFA projects. That’s why I wanted to get set up. There is always a  project animal that’s been fed on a silver platter for months - that gets sold for market price. Both hogs and lambs. You just have to be ready to strike when the deal is available. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Epic shark coochie thread ahead!  Will definitely be following this gem!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • 20stone
    Options
    Pro tip - If you can get a great collar, coppa is my favorite cut to cure.  I like eating it as much/more than prosciutto, and it takes way less time and space.

Time to go scouting those FFA hogs.  Give a guy a heads up if you need to share one.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    This year all the 4H auctions were online.  If I was more daring I would have picked up one of those hand raised/fed animals.  Some beautiful cows and pigs sold around here.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Coppa is really what I’d like to do first. 
    As for the FFA projects, I’ll let you know. Since they cancelled Fort Worth there may be some animals available. I haven’t heard what’s happening with SA or Houston. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    This year all the 4H auctions were online.  If I was more daring I would have picked up one of those hand raised/fed animals.  Some beautiful cows and pigs sold around here.
    I’ll talk to my Ag teachers this week. That’s the great thing about small schools. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    We have half an FFA pig in the freezer we split with the in-laws.  I’m not in love with how it was butchered (roasts split in half, thin chops etc) but the meat quality is amazing and the price was awesome. Now that I know I will work with the meat cutter in the future instead of letting the in-laws do it.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That’s pretty cool!!!  I was looking into converting our barely used basement fridge into a curing chamber but with COVID we have started using it again so not happening.  Maybe one day in another world 🤷‍♂️

Options
    @lkapigian, can you tell us a little more about each of the hanging meats?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    Options
    @lkapigian Only one pork collar will fit into one bung, right? So if I have a 4 or 5 pound pork collar like the SRF above, each one needs a bung. Is that correct?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Only one pork collar will fit into one bung, right? So if I have a 4 or 5 pound pork collar like the SRF above, each one needs a bung. Is that correct?
    I used 2, but depending on the length you may be able to get 2 into 1 ...they are about 28-32" each ( the bungs ) and you will want a few extra inches on each one for tying...With the Collagen sheets, 2 per sheet easy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’ll talk to my Ag teachers this week. That’s the great thing about small schools. 
    Those animals are pampered, for sure. A few kids I know raise animals for FFA. They dig that I always ask them about their animals, but are just a tiny bit miffed when I talk about eating them. The parents are all for it!

Daughter of a colleague raised a hog for FFA. He named it Tasty, and was happy with the sausage and other cuts he got from it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options

A few things we have done over the years. Some lonzo, coppa, prosciutto, looks like some fermented sausage (But could be masalawurst by the color). A few cheeses and other fun stuff
    Hey Now !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Dang! I’m excited to finally be in this game. That stuff looks crazy good @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Pancetta and holiday ham:

• SciAggie
    Options
    I didn’t realize you had done this many cured foods. You are a man of many talents. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I didn’t realize you had done this many cured foods. You are a man of many talents. 
    Jones did most of the Heavy lifting on the whole muscle stuff with our sausage pigs. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I am not following this thread. I am not following this thread. I am not following this thread...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.