Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not BGE but the pizza curve

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
Looking for temp tips on wood fired pizza.

Laser thermometer Oven floor temp recommendations vs oven dome temp on standard thermometer like that comes
with BGE.  

Cant seem to get bottom  crispness vs not burning rhe top crust down too good.  

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    What is the floor temp? I don’t have a pizza oven but I would think you might want to cook with something closer to coals than a big flame fire.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    What type dough are you using?  Might want to get the fire down on the floor to heat it up higher depending on dough type. 
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    How long are you preheating your oven before adding the pie(s)?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    About an hour.6 logs.  3 then 3
    Columbus, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Calling @SciAggie
    I don't use the eggs for pizza anymore, but favor the blackstone pizza oven.  Its not the sweet piece of machinery you have there, but I have to measure the floor temp to get it right.  For my dough, I aim for about 600-650 floor temp measured by the IR.  I don't worry about dome too much as I can always "dome" the pizza at the end to ensure I get top doneness once the bottom is the way I like it.  Without floor temp, you may not know if the floor is "charged" enough to cook the bottom at the same rate as the top.  But to answer your question, the thermometer on the side I would consider useless, just like the one on my blackstone.  I am not cooking by air temp, but stone temp.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @cookingdude555 gave good advice. You have to soak the floor with thermal energy. I usually pile the coals on the oven floor to make sure it is saturated with heat. As you have learned it’s easy to get the top of the pizza done with a rolling flame. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon