Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to Basic Ribs - SemiDirect

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With Eggfest2000 coming up in 3 weeks (http://www.tm52.com/eggfest) I thought I would return to my roots and have a rack of baby backs done the original way - direct - but with a twist. I used the raised grid and no drip pan, never tried it with the raised grid and no drip pan except to finish a rack or two after being in foil (3-2-1 method). I needed to start fast and at 3pm I removed a frozed rack from the freezer. I always remove the membrane before I freeze them just for this reason. I filled the sink with warm water and tossed it in to thaw. By the time Big Humpty was at 225 - I had the ribs thawed and coated with JJ's rub. I tossed them on at 3:30pm at 200-225 deg. I normally don't like holding temps below 225 but I went the extra effort this time. I cooked them for 4 hrs and added sauce the last hour. The last 1/2 hr I bumped the temp to 250-275.[p]The meat temp in a thick spot was 195 but was not pulled pork tender. The meat did pull clean from the bones. To say it was good was a real under statement - it was GREAT. I used some apple chunks for smoke and the BBQ added was a good touch. JJ and his direct method are hard to beat and with the added height of the raised grid, they come out even better. I still like the indirect and 3-1.5-2 methods too - each is different and revisiting each is fun!! Kinda like Eggfest or Eggtoberfest.[p]Tim -- no pictures of them - too hungry

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Tim M, My first time JJ's method today. They're cooking as I type and should be close to finishing at about 5:00 central time. Going to brush some sauce on the last 1/2 hr or so. Looks like we have a winner.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, your hitting the "high" notes now..Good to see the flexibiity as ribs have a variety of goodness. This is one of them. You and Painter enjoy...looks like a lot of ribbing going on today..:-)
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, your hitting the "high" notes now..Good to see the flexibiity as ribs have a variety of goodness. This is one of them. You and Painter enjoy...looks like a lot of ribbing going on today..:-)
    C~W