Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a great recipe for whole duck?

Options
Given the current context, it’ll likely just be myself, my wife, and our two young children for Thanksgiving this weekend (Canada; you Americans have your Thanksgiving and Christmas far too close together, IMO! 😉). We have a lot to be thankful for. 

Given the small gathering, I opted for a whole duck rather than a turkey. Was thinking I could roast it and do stuffing, Brussels sprouts and garlicky, cream cheese mashed potatoes as sides. 

Any phenomenal duck recipes out there? Would love a suggestion or two. 

Thanks, friends. 

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Farm duck or wild? Do you know the actual species? Fat content varies
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Trim skin that “hangs” from the duck (any large chunks of skin/fat that is not attached to meat).

With the tip of a sharp paring knife, prick the skin all over the duck (not too deep, you don’t want to slice the meat)

Place the duck breast side up on a v-rack set in a large roasting pan filled with water and steam the duck for 30-40 minutes.  You want to steam it and not boil it so check the water and make sure that there is not too much of it and that it doesn’t run out.  You may use foil on the sides of the pan to help keep the steam around the duck but you don’t want to cover it.  How long to steam is a judgment call but you are basically looking for the fat to start rendering.  You will see beads of fat where you pierced the skin.  Remove from heat and pat try the duck to remove excess moisture and fat.  Be careful with the skin it will be easy to tear and you want to avoid that.

Mix:

1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce

2-3 teaspoons of five-spice powder (garam masala or jerk seasoning are good too)

1 teaspoon sesame oil

Brush mixture on all sides of the duck (again, be careful with the skin)

Stuff the duck with green onions, ginger, bread stuffing, dried raisins, apples, orange zest (anything you feel like really).

Cook at 400F for about an hour until the skin is crispy.  I prefer indirect because you don’t need to constantly look for flare ups... but you may have unbelievable results on a raised grate with the caveat that flare ups may ruin the duck if you are not attentive and don’t control them.

Mix:

2 tablespoons honey

2-3 tablespoons rice vinegar (unseasoned/no sugar)

1 Tablespoon soy sauce

Brush duck generously with the glaze mixture and continue cooking until glaze heats through (2-5 minutes).  Be careful to make sure glaze does not burn!!!

Transfer to cutting board and let rest 10-20 minutes then slice and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

You can ballpark the quantities for the brushing sauce and glaze, add orange juice and or zest, etc.

edited October 2020
    Options
    oh yes and if you use garam masala, I strongly suggest this one: 

Five spice:

Options
    I've smoked ducks few odd times over the years. tbh it's too much work,  easier to pick one up from an asian bbq place  :)  sorry to be a debbie downer. 

Here's one I did way back when:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1113693/lc-inspired-peking-duck-pic-heavy

canuckland
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I'll vote for peking duck as well... One of my cooks from a ways back...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199606/peking-duck

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Wrap duck in bacon, stuff with potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Grill  over indirect heat until the bacon is crisp and the veggies are tender.

Remove bacon and veggies from duck.  Toss duck in trash.  Eat bacon and veggies.

That's my go-to Duck and Pheasant recipe.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i keep it simple, low and slow raised direct and serve it with some type of crandberry sauce. you need two ducks, theres not much meat on a duck.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Wrap duck in bacon, stuff with potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Grill  over indirect heat until the bacon is crisp and the veggies are tender.

Remove bacon and veggies from duck.  Toss duck in trash.  Eat bacon and veggies.

Lol. Ashamed to admit it took me two reads to absorb. Had a good chuckle. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Lol. Ashamed to admit it took me two reads to absorb. Had a good chuckle. 
    😂😂😂 took me 3 but to my defense I only had 2 hours of sleep last night.  Duck is pretty good when it is well prepared.

Options
    I've smoked ducks few odd times over the years. tbh it's too much work,  easier to pick one up from an asian bbq place  :)  sorry to be a debbie downer. 

Kinda agree with you on this one.  If it was any other time that would have been my recommendation too.  It is a lot of work.  With the covid thing, the asian markets that I usually go to are a big no no for me.  Everyone’s wearing masks there but they are not careful.  I don’t think that a small piece of plexiglass will protect a bunch of ducks hanging without any other protection.  It was questionable but delicious before covid but now 🤷‍♂️ 

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. Still on the fence about which way to go, as they all look good. 

Y’all are some real mother duckers!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Farm duck or wild? Do you know the actual species? Fat content varies
    https://canardsdulacbrome.com/en/produits/whole-duck/
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. Still on the fence about which way to go, as they all look good. 

Y’all are some real mother duckers!
    This is ducking funny, few years ago I attended King Cole duckfest as a guest but ended up flipping duck breasts, burgers and sausages all day because my buddy and his boss at the BGE booth were totally overwhelmed by the endless line of tasters.

Got this Tshirt from the duck company...

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited October 2020
    Options
    paqman said:

Kinda agree with you on this one.  If it was any other time that would have been my recommendation too.  It is a lot of work.  With the covid thing, the asian markets that I usually go to are a big no no for me.  Everyone’s wearing masks there but they are not careful.  I don’t think that a small piece of plexiglass will protect a bunch of ducks hanging without any other protection.  It was questionable but delicious before covid but now 🤷‍♂️ 
    Agree. Also with most folks working from home during COVID, time should not be an issue.
    edit: apology to OP for failing to take COVID into consideration  :)
    canuckland