Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alaskan Deep Water Shrimp

Caught these on a trip to Alaska with some friends.  More like a front row seat in a National Geographic Special.  
Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    That looks awesome.  I've never caught shrimp before.  Where in Alaska were you?  And is a deep water shrimp different from a regular shrimp?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I don't know anything about Alaskan deep water shrimp, but if they are similar to the the gulf deep water shrimp known as Royal Reds, they are a lot different from regular shrimp. Different in a good way, similar in taste and texture to lobster.

Very nice looking cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    maine shrimp are deep water shrimp, very tasty. season has been closed the last few years though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • We were in Prince William Sound near Valdez.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    You are my new favorite poster.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The Alaskan shrimp are very close to the ones in Maine. Nearly the same buttery sweetness as royal reds.  Highly regulated, recreational only allowed 3 traps and you only catch a handful on an overnight set.  We were halibut fishing so it was something to do every night.
    Those shrimp look amazing!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas