Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fermented sriracha recipe help

Does anyone have one that works well? I have found all kinds of variations while looking around. Some have fish sauce, some have brown sugar, some have cider vinegar while some have white. I'm trying to get similar flavors to the store bought stuff as i like it, but want to try with a few different peppers

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited September 2020
    2-3 % salt brine, That is it

I use peppers,garlic , onion and some baby carrots......let ferment for 3 weeks,blend with some brine ,strain out mash.  Blend strained liquid with Xanthan Gum,I do add a bit of vinegar and salt to taste to the final blend

In a 5 litre crock, I will use 1 medium onion,about a head of garlic, handful of baby carrots , the rest is peppers,

It wont be just like the store bought,but it will be better for sure

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I do use cider vinegar. I like it way better than white for sriracha
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Had a buddy send this to me but I have tweaked it a little. I use ACV to taste instead of the exact amount of white vinegar they recommend and I changed up the peppers a little. I leave it in for 3 weeks like Larry suggest above. It is very, very good so this is a good place to start. I have been using a mix of fresno, habanero, and stingray (which to me is like a serrano but it comes in a bunch of bright colors). I have 1.5 gallons of mash coming out of the ferment today. Good luck and have fun! My new favorite hobby!

Ingredients:

•¾ lb. (340 g) Red jalapenos stemmed and roughly chopped
    •¼ lb. (115 g) red serrano's, stemmed and roughly chopped
    •½ lb. (230 g)green jalapenos, stemmed and roughly chopped
    •4 cloves garlic
    •⅛ cup (25 g) sugar
    •⅛ cup (25 g) brown sugar
    •1-2 tsp (5-10 g) salt
    •½ cup (120 ml) distilled white vinegar
    •1 tsp xanthan gum (optional, to help stabilize the sauce for long holding)

Process:

•Place the peppers, garlic, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.  Transfer the mixture to a clean container, cover and let sit at room temperature. 
    Fermentation should begin in about 2 days.  When bubbles begin to form, stir your “mash” one or twice a day to combine and help it settle.  Continue until the mixture stops bubbling, about 6-8 days.
    Transfer the mash to a blender, add the vinegar and puree until very smooth.  Strain the sauce through a fine sieve.  Add the xanthan gum and puree again until smooth and thick.  Store the sauce in squeeze bottles in the fridge for up to 3 months.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    edited September 2020
    im not big into the vinegar and use fish sauce to taste. more garlic and dont strain it, put it in a jar and use a spoon. i tend to use thai and habanaros or scotch bonnets, or ghost. onions
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oh yeah, double the garlic for sure. forgot that part. I'm all for a little onion and carrot too. Just use the above as a guide for proportions and it's all open for interpretation after that.
  • lkapigian
    As above, the beauty is there is no Wrong Way, you will stumble across something you really like just by experimenting ......but Pleasee, don't be like me and write nothing down ( although I am getting better) I pull something off that really hits a note and I have to think back " what did I do"
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    as a side note, the actual sriracha sauce varies batch to batch, the garlic or peppers werent as strong this year etc. ive bought a few bottles that i did not enjoy as much as others
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    edited September 2020
    Huy Fongs Sriracha had a falling out in 2019 with Underwood Peppers who grew all of their peppers,quality and consistency have never been the same 

https://www.eater.com/2019/6/4/18652553/sriracha-underwood-peppers-lawsuit

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    lkapigian said:
    2-3 % salt brine, That is it

I use peppers,garlic , onion and some baby carrots......let ferment for 3 weeks,blend with some brine ,strain out mash.  Blend strained liquid with Xanthan Gum,I do add a bit of vinegar and salt to taste to the final blend

In a 5 litre crock, I will use 1 medium onion,about a head of garlic, handful of baby carrots , the rest is peppers,

It wont be just like the store bought,but it will be better for sure

this is exactly how i do it now (pineapple every now and then), but i don't get that rooster brand taste. It is very good mind you, but doesn't have that same tangy profile. Maybe i'll try again and triple the garlic and less onion, as i use about 5 cloves and half an onion in a 32oz jar
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    Had a buddy send this to me but I have tweaked it a little. I use ACV to taste instead of the exact amount of white vinegar they recommend and I changed up the peppers a little. I leave it in for 3 weeks like Larry suggest above. It is very, very good so this is a good place to start. I have been using a mix of fresno, habanero, and stingray (which to me is like a serrano but it comes in a bunch of bright colors). I have 1.5 gallons of mash coming out of the ferment today. Good luck and have fun! My new favorite hobby!

Ingredients:

•¾ lb. (340 g) Red jalapenos stemmed and roughly chopped
    •¼ lb. (115 g) red serrano's, stemmed and roughly chopped
    •½ lb. (230 g)green jalapenos, stemmed and roughly chopped
    •4 cloves garlic
    •⅛ cup (25 g) sugar
    •⅛ cup (25 g) brown sugar
    •1-2 tsp (5-10 g) salt
    •½ cup (120 ml) distilled white vinegar
    •1 tsp xanthan gum (optional, to help stabilize the sauce for long holding)

Process:

•Place the peppers, garlic, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.  Transfer the mixture to a clean container, cover and let sit at room temperature. 
    •Fermentation should begin in about 2 days.  When bubbles begin to form, stir your “mash” one or twice a day to combine and help it settle.  Continue until the mixture stops bubbling, about 6-8 days.
    •Transfer the mash to a blender, add the vinegar and puree until very smooth.  Strain the sauce through a fine sieve.  Add the xanthan gum and puree again until smooth and thick.  Store the sauce in squeeze bottles in the fridge for up to 3 months.  

I will try adding the brown sugar after this weekends batch is done in a few weeks and see what that does. We've had frost here now, so my crop is finished. Whatever is left will be getting fermented this weekend.

I think i will try the fish sauce in some as well as mentioned above.

I'm gonna need more peppers!