Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food and Wine Magazine- best Q places in each state

Here's the link.  Plenty of room for debate:
https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/best-bbq-restaurants 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Well they completely skipped over New Orleans which indicates they didn’t blindly fall for some of the hype surrounding our local BBQ places - some of which are truly not worthy of the praise they get. Glad to see some of the more rural Louisiana bbq joints getting some love. May require a road trip to try out some of the recommendations. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Definitely happy to see that they expanded their definition of BBQ to allow for pit beef to be Maryland’s entry.  Pioneer is right by the office, might have to make a voyage down sometime soon, since it’s been 6 months since I’ve been to the office.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Man, that's good stuff Cap. I'm adding a few stops to my list!
    LBGE
    AL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    FWIW, they nailed VA.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • They screwed the pooch with Texas. I wouldn’t put the places they mentioned even in the top 10.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• They nailed Oklahoma too :lol:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2020
    I mean, they are wedged between Texas and Kansas City and the best they can do is bologna? And he calls it "Poor Mans' Brisket"? I've eaten at Jamil's dozens of times (had a customer who loved it). I'll take Applebees any day.

I prefer the "Alabama Tenderloin" moniker for bologna
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Dondgc said:
    Well they completely skipped over New Orleans which indicates they didn’t blindly fall for some of the hype surrounding our local BBQ places - some of which are truly not worthy of the praise they get. Glad to see some of the more rural Louisiana bbq joints getting some love. May require a road trip to try out some of the recommendations. 
    What’s funny is they mention my French Bread with the smoked meatloaf. We produce all of Gambino’s French bread. Glad they skipped NOLA too. Haven’t had good BBQ there ever 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @TEXASBGE2018 I don't know what Louie Mueller's is like today but 15 months ago it was outstanding, every bit as noted in the article.  Definitely worth a repeat stop on my next Texas brisket bender,  And a nod to @The Cen-Tex Smoker for the steer to Taylor on my way out to Snow's the following day.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 I don't know what Louie Mueller's is like today but 15 months ago it was outstanding, every bit as noted in the article.  Definitely worth a repeat stop on my next Texas brisket bender,  And a nod to @The Cen-Tex Smoker for the steer to Taylor on my way out to Snow's the following day.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    I will admit it’s been a long time since I ate there. Def more than 15 months ago. So maybe it’s gotten better. But the couple times I have it was way overrated. I also find it funny that on their website they state they have been rated either number 1 or 2 in Texas Monthly’s Best BBQ list every year for the last 47 years and yet I’ve looked at the last 10 editions of the list in my stash of magazines and they aren’t even in the top 3 in any of them? They are always listed as number 5 or lower. Probably shouldn’t boast something that can be verified to be false. I think living in Texas we get extremely spoiled by all the insanely good BBQ here so maybe that’s causing bias on my part.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I would agree with the authors assessment of Georgia. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @TEXASBGE2018 - I have not perused the web site.  However, I am a subscriber of Texas Monthly and pay attention to their annual rankings.
    BTW this article (not trying to get political here) updated in 2018 is a good read:
    https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/americas-most-influential-bbq-pitmasters-and-personalities  

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I'm surprised (in a good way) that they didn't name Central BBQ in Memphis and Franklin BBQ as best in their states. LB Mueller is a great place, I'm really disappointed that my sister moved from Taylor - but they do mail order.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Acn said:
    Definitely happy to see that they expanded their definition of BBQ to allow for pit beef to be Maryland’s entry.  Pioneer is right by the office, might have to make a voyage down sometime soon, since it’s been 6 months since I’ve been to the office.
    I have to respectfully disagree.  I'm not a fan of the pit beef sandwich.  It's ok, but it is just a roast beef sandwich.  For me, selection of a pit beef stand is only indicative of the absence of reasonably good BBQ.  The one good thing about Chap's, you can walk across the parking lot and get a lap dance...

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I think I may have been to maybe 4 of the places mentioned in the post. Although not as vivid a recollection of my experience, a described in F’n Wine....the food was still good.

What impresses me most, is that I have had better, and that has always been from the cooks on this forum. Thanks to you chefs!

Need a solid....

Looking for some spots  for possible dining, west of KC in Kansas on our way to Colorado. Any suggestions in the Trinidad, Durango, Grand Junction would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Apologies Frank, not intending to steal, just farming for data.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    ColbyLang said:
    Dondgc said:
    What’s funny is they mention my French Bread with the smoked meatloaf. We produce all of Gambino’s French bread. Glad they skipped NOLA too. Haven’t had good BBQ there ever 

Blue Oak's not bad.
    NOLA