Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Got Spatchcocked Chicken Dialed in

Options
I have to admit, I've made over a dozen spatchcocked birds on the Egg and never really came away satisfied until a week ago. The big change for me was drying out the bird for 48 hours in the fridge and keeping a temp around 350F. This combo has finally gotten me the crispy skin I've been after.

Tonight I made my favorite spatchcock chicken yet. I've even got the carving down mostly right. Here's a look.

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    Looks gorgeous!   Trader Joe’s sells spatchcock’d chickens that look great - all nice and flattened,  pre-seasoned, and shrink wrapped.  Have you ever tried theirs? 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    looks like you nailed it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Haven't tried TJ's pre-spatchcocked bird. I find nice small ones from my butcher who cryovac's them. I throw them in the freezer on purchase and take one out 3 days in advance of cook day.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Looks good - Whole Foods sells pre spatchcock Chicks from Bell and Evans.  I’ve always had good luck with those, if you don’t want to spatch it yourself 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    I take an odd pleasure in spatchcocking a chicken.  Question for the group: When spatchcocking, in addition to the back bone, do you also remove the breast bone, or nah?
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    If I have time, I’ll remove the keel bone.  Otherwise, I just put my weight on the whole chicken to flatten it out 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I have moved to half-cocked chix-spatchcocked and then split.  If you go down this road here is a link: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/halfc.htm
    I find that taking out the keel bone first is an easier approach than starting with the  backbone.
    Half cocked gives you more ways to season it up during the cook-a great plus.
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If I'm going to bother to cut up a whole bird I've been cutting them in half rather than just spatching - easier to fit and move around the grill and to treat/season them differently if desired.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I have to admit, I've made over a dozen spatchcocked birds on the Egg and never really came away satisfied until a week ago. The big change for me was drying out the bird for 48 hours in the fridge and keeping a temp around 350F. This combo has finally gotten me the crispy skin I've been after.

Tonight I made my favorite spatchcock chicken yet. I've even got the carving down mostly right. Here's a look.

When you dried the chicken for 48 hours, was it covered or uncovered?
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Looks good - Whole Foods sells pre spatchcock Chicks from Bell and Evans.  I’ve always had good luck with those, if you don’t want to spatch it yourself 
    I probably shop at the same WF and have not noticed those.  Thanks.  I love that brand since you can throw them in the fridge and not have to cook them for a week or more.  Also the packaging acts like a tray for marinades and rubs.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Briwald, dry the skin with the chicken uncovered.

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia