Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Well, THAT sucked! - OT

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,429
Well, THAT sucked.
As most of you know we had another high wind/shear event along the Wasatch Monday night thru Wed morning (it was worst 4 to 7 am Tues, power went out during my 0430 shower). 99 mph winds clocked up here on the Terrace. Lost 2.5 trees, PLUS the beautiful 3 cottonwoods just across the fence that shaded my west patio, ugh. Neighbor to the north lost both his fences, neighbor to the south's trampoline just sat there.
Power came back on about 4 that afternoon, then heard my neighbor yelling, property behind my place was ablaze, RMP turned the power back on with power lines still on the ground!
I grabbed my hose, but the lines were still energized and arcing everywhere, Nope. Just wait for the fire department to get there.
Did I mentioned we've been under Extreme Fire Warning since July, and the winds were still at about 35 mph?
FD got there, went thru my two gates, and got it under control (the live line severed itself, thank goodness). Power was finally restored about noon today.
That first pic is my sandy soil, fuzed into a pretty piece of glass by 25,000 v power line; my souvenir from a miserable week.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Dang- dodged a major bullet with the power line and your place but good call to not go pi$$ing on the electric fence  B)  Can't imagine the weather and fires hitting everyone west of the Rockies.  Just adds to how F'd up we have it in 2020.  If ever a year I am ready to see in the rear view mirror...
    Tough deal with the trees as it will take years to reestablish that cover.  

BTW- I am quite sure you are in the every day is Saturday club so what's this 0430 shower event??   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nice lawn @Botch
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    ......and the Egg?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Wow, glad you’re safe.
    canuckland
  • Glad everyone and their homesteads survived. Total bummer about the shade trees cause those can't get replaced overnight. 
    I can't say I rise quite as early but you only beat me by an hour. I, however, wouldn't notice the power outage because I get ready in the dark.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Glad you are safe my friend. Cool reminder of the event though with that fused sand.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Botch said:
    Well, THAT sucked.
    As most of you know we had another high wind/shear event along the Wasatch Monday night thru Wed morning (it was worst 4 to 7 am Tues, power went out during my 0430 shower). 99 mph winds clocked up here on the Terrace. Lost 2.5 trees, PLUS the beautiful 3 cottonwoods just across the fence that shaded my west patio, ugh. Neighbor to the north lost both his fences, neighbor to the south's trampoline just sat there.
    Power came back on about 4 that afternoon, then heard my neighbor yelling, property behind my place was ablaze, RMP turned the power back on with power lines still on the ground!
    I grabbed my hose, but the lines were still energized and arcing everywhere, Nope. Just wait for the fire department to get there.
    Did I mentioned we've been under Extreme Fire Warning since July, and the winds were still at about 35 mph?
    FD got there, went thru my two gates, and got it under control (the live line severed itself, thank goodness). Power was finally restored about noon today.
    That first pic is my sandy soil, fuzed into a pretty piece of glass by 25,000 v power line; my souvenir from a miserable week.

Wow, That's some scary $#i+. Glad you guys are ok. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Oh wow!  Glad you are ok, and nobody got hit by a falling tree, electrocuted by downed power lines, or killed in a fire!  You should hunker down 8n a storm shelter for a few days with some quality booze.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    .....glad all is well. Wild story fo sho.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Sorry to hear about the property and landscape damage.  Glad that you are ok.  Losing shade trees is a big bummer, been there a couple times, just sucks.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    lousubcap said:
    BTW- I am quite sure you are in the every day is Saturday club so what's this 0430 shower event??   =)
    Single-day Schedule Deviation.  When the worst hit, the 30' pine tree just outside my bedroom window was banging on the window above my head, the wall, and roof like Buddy Rich, and I had just trimmed that tree to not reach.   :o  
    I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, and decided to relocate within my house, for a few hours...   ;)  

Made the decision yesterday to remove that tree; it only has a 20-degree area in which it could be blown over and not hit my house, pergola, my neighbor's house, or our yet-to-be-installed new chain link fence.  That tree's "sister", in my neighbor's yard about 20 feet away, was blown over in the last high wind/shear event, about fifteen years ago (and took out his wooden fence that time, too).    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• An almost shocking situation. I haves somewhat similar situation. A. Pine tree 4 feet in diameter is maybe 20 feet from my bedroom . One reason I use the front bedroom instead of the master bedroom across the hall and at the back of the house. As you can see it leans slightly towards my house.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Glad you are OK.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Dayum!  Sorry to hear of all this - glad all are safe.  
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    @cookingdude555 you get through this alright?
  • Glad you are OK Botch.
  • Holy cow. Good luck getting stuff put back in place. Sounds like it could have been much worse.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Glad that you're fine and that the trees were the only casualties by you. The downed power lines and the fire could have been far worse. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.