Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Rogan Josh

My wife had two food requests for her birthday: something Indian, and apple pie. The pie was easy but Indian took some experimentation. I did a dry run of lamb rogan josh on the stove - it was good, but not great. So I decided to do another run, entirely on the grill.

I followed this recipe very loosely (I added onions, tumeric, went a little heavy on the Kashmiri chilli pepper and cloves).

I brought the my large BGE up to around 350 and started on the onions - in oil with a wallop of hing (which sort of adds a garlicky/oniony flavor to the oil):

After those softened up, I added the meat - which had been marinating for 2-3 hours in the fridge:

I let this cook for about 40 minutes, then added the spice mixture, and allowed that to thicken for about 20m more:

All finished - smelling great, cooked to about medium with the sauce thick but not clumpy. We served this over rice with an assortment of (store bought) Indian pickles/mango chutney and some homemade raita (the white stuff - similar to tatziki) and naan bread (out of picture unfortunately) and a New England IPA. Very tasty meal, and happy wife!

Comments