Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chicken/Andouille Sausage Gumbo

Options
Tomorrow I plan on cooking a Smoked Chicken/Sausage Gumbo.  I've got the gumbo side of the cook down as I just use a mix from Cajun Powerhttps://www.cajunpowersauce.com/store/cajun-chickengumbo.html , but I am trying to decide how to get the max smoke flavor from the chicken.  

We like thigh meat , so I am considering just simply putting chicken thighs in the egg with a lot of wood chunks and lump and try to maintain a temp of about 225 or so, to just get some smoked flavor into the thighs.

Or another choice would be to get a whole chicken and to just let the egg do its job.  I'd probably spatchcock it and also go for 225 or so.  It might take a while, but I have all day to do it.

As for seasoning, I think that a little poultry seasoning would be good.

Any thoughts or ideas.  
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I've made this sausage/chicken jambalaya on the egg and it is outstanding:

https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/old-school-chicken-and-sausage-jambalaya

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221121/old-school-chicken-and-sausage-jambalaya

You might get some good ideas on techniques or seasoning. I used a whole chicken.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Any chicken smoked/cooked on your egg should have a good smoke profile.  I wouldn't worry about getting enough.  I'd worry about getting too much smoke because poultry takes on smoke pretty well.  Just make sure that your smoke is clean before you put the chicken on.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Any chicken smoked/cooked on your egg should have a good smoke profile.  I wouldn't worry about getting enough.  I'd worry about getting too much smoke because poultry takes on smoke pretty well.  Just make sure that your smoke is clean before you put the chicken on.

I agree with this.  And the smoke will really show up in the gumbo, especially if you make stock from the carcass.  However you cook it will be fine - I would go a little hotter.  (And I've egged chicken for gumbo a bunch of times).
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Dismiss my following embarrassing post, after reading.
    I've not been feeling well the last three days, and today I just heated up a can of "Campbell's Chunky" soup, Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo!  
    It was delicious (nothing else had tasted good the last couple days) and I couldn't help wonder how good this would be, cooked from scratch.
    Will be watching this thread, for sure.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Wife just changed her mind on tomorrow's meal.  Will have to put the gumbo off for another week.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks for the heads up about the smoke.
  • CPARKTX2
    Options
    I put chicken thighs in gumbo often, but I’d caution about smoking it, that could easily overpower the gumbo. I lightly season the chicken with Emeril’s and cook raised direct, no smoke
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Options
    Wondering how long do you usually put the thighs on the egg, and under what conditions before putting in the gumbo?.   I am thinking about putting them on the egg bones in Raised indirect with temp at 275 or so until about 130 IT or so to get some smoke, then letting them finish in the gumbo?  Indirect/raised/etc.  
    Thanks
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I cook a spatchcock chicken once a month, give the bones to the neighbor who makes stock out of it. In return he makes the most delicious gumbo a few times a year that is perfect. I get all the wins out of it- my favorite chicken and a chefs gumbo
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.