Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Help Needed for newbie

Options
Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As stated in my previous post, I got my first egg today and I would like to try some baby back ribs tomorrow. I think I have a problem, I have no plate setter and no grid extender. How can I set up my egg for a direct cook?[p]I have never been a huge fan of dry rubs...of course I have never tried a dry rub from from egg cooked ribs. I ate them a Sticky Fingers BBQ in Chattanooga and was not impressed at all. It seems that most posters on here use dry rubs...anyone have tips on a sauce style cook?[p]

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    Follow the advice of our Fellow Egg-heads at dizzy pig bbq. Check out the link below. I believe it will help you out.[p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesRibs.html[/ul]
  • Cabdriver
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    I used a V-rack and cut three racks in half -- just fit in the slots on my v-rack. Put the rack inside an aluminum pan on top of the grill rack. I cooked them this way indirect for 3 hours. Used the 3/1/1.5 method discussed here extensively. I rubbed them with a basic pork rub (Bad Byrons Butt Rub, with a lot of brown sugar added -- In my humble opinion this is key -- you put the brown sugar on and slow cook them, you will have ribs that don't need sauce -- rub only, you will need sauce.) After 3 hours, wrap in foil for an hour, then on the grill direct for and hour to an hour and a half. Falling off the bone great ribs. Total cook time for mine was nearly six hours. Dome temp of 250. You want to do these baby's indirect, not direct in my opinion.
    Just my $.02

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    A quick guide to lots of frequently asked questions. This is so helpful I have it bookmarked on my computer.[p]Enjoy!

[ul][li]http://bbq.yyyz.net/Recipe_Index.asp[/ul]
  • Smoking Jacket
    Options
    Thanks guys,[p]hope I don't screw this up.

• The Virginian
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    If you have a large egg, one of those disposable turkey pans you can buy at the supermarket scrunches down in there very well and does a good job for indirect cooking. I have even used this in competitions with good results. [p]Brett