Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BlueStar

alaskanassasin
alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
edited August 2020 in EggHead Forum
I am about to pull the trigger on a 30" base model BlueStar range. I like the burners, the easy wok conversion, there does not seem to be any electronics also a plus. Anyone out there have one, or been around one?
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• @Thatgrimguy I think you turned me onto them. Any feedback would be appreciated.  I am basically buying onsite unseen, there are not any showrooms with a 30" BlueStar in stock in Ohio.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    @Thatgrimguy I think you turned me onto them. Any feedback would be appreciated.  I am basically buying onsite unseen, there are not any showrooms with a 30" BlueStar in stock in Ohio.
    You are lucky!  I have drooled over them since learning about them.

One sarcastic question.  Not sure why you are buying sight unseen, if you are onsite? ;)

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    BiL put a huge setup in a couple of years ago, they love it, I love it.  The super low simmer where it shuts off and reignites is very cool.
  • @Ozzie_Isaac exchanging emails distributor ready to purchase however they do not have one available on their showroom to play with. Lets say I am onsite where it is going to go and I have never seen one.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited August 2020
    I can't remember if it was @Thatgrimguy who turned me onto them (it was a thread something like "How do you heat your wok?" or something like that).  They have an outlet in SLC but I haven't been there yet.

I didn't see anything about a wok conversion, which was my main interest, was it on their main site?  The 36" cook top would drop right into my kitchen, and I'm very interested.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256

Have, not has.
    I blame the beer.
  • womaus

And going further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9WDJaB6_9M

This is from a few years ago...they say 22K BTU. I believe they've got models that offer 25K.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    When we built our house (moved in in 2015) I decided to put in a 48" Bluestar Platinum cooktop. Ordered it with the grill/griddle option, which I rarely use. But otherwise I love the stove.  It has a 25k btu burner that gets stuff hot fast, and I really enjoy the way my 39 year old wok fits in it.  And the simmer burner is great for braising.  I'd definitely buy one again.

At the same time I decided to go with Wolf wall oven.  It hasn't worked for over 6 months now, but at least Wolf is paying for all the parts and labor that has gone in to diagnosing the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a new unit.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Botch
    @womaus, thank you Thank You for posting that!
    Is the "BlueStar RNB Nova 30" a stovetop, or a "cooktop"?  The reason I ask, is that the bottom pan of that unit looks like its between 9 to 12" below the "top surface" of the counter/stove.  If that's the case, it'd zero out the storage I have in the top shelf of my cupboard below the stove, which is my primary pot storage!  When I visit my local dealer, I need to bring a tape measure.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    womaus said:

And going further:

This is from a few years ago...they say 22K BTU. I believe they've got models that offer 25K.

:lol:  Well, I don't think I'll need the exhaust hood, as I don't plan on dumping almost a pint of cooking oil into my wok!  :lol:  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    womaus said:

And going further:

:lol:  Well, I don't think I'll need the exhaust hood, as I don't plan on dumping almost a pint of cooking oil into my wok!  :lol:  
    I dream of having a decent exhaust hood on my stove.  Every house I have owned has a microwave that is to low and no exhaust hood.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Botch said:
    womaus said:

And going further:

I dream of having a decent exhaust hood on my stove.  Every house I have owned has a microwave that is to low and no exhaust hood.

We put in an 800cfm exhaust vented to outside when we renovated, and while not the strongest exhaust on the market, I can blacken stuff and do pretty much anything else without setting off the smoke alarm.

Pro-tip - only put one baffle into the ductwork, or you are going to have problems.  Ask me how I know.
    NOLA
  • womaus
    lkapigian said:
    I don’t need this, I don’t need this, I don’t need this

Well, maybe you do? 

Just sayin'.
  • womaus
    Botch said:
    @womaus, thank you Thank You for posting that!
    Is the "BlueStar RNB Nova 30" a stovetop, or a "cooktop"?  
    It's a range. Gas on gas. 
    Will take a full size sheet pan in the oven. Has convection.
    And no clock. And no timers. 
    But I think it may have a light in the oven.
  • womaus

And oh yeah. The install specs say you should have a 300cfm hood over the range.
    I've got a JennAire 600 cfm. I worry for the small animals in the house. 
  • womaus

Here's my exhaust. 7", going out horizontally about 20'. Yeah, I know. But if I put it through the roof I'd risk ice dams. 
    Doing that (self installation) in mid summer was a treat. Had to get up in the space early in the morning, by noon it was an inferno.

• pgar171
    pgar171 Posts: 11
    We have the 48" range.  It is the best investment we have made for the house.  Go for a wild color.  You won't regret it.  
  • Pardon my ignorance here.  Are these natural gas units or propane?  I would LOVE something like that in my house but we don't have natural gas.  Only option would be propane.  Right now I'm running my gas grill, blackstone, gas logs and soon to be firepit off of a 100 gallon propane tank.  I'm afraid if I add much more I'll have to bury a 500 gallon tank.  
  • Thanks! @womaus Thanks for all the information, I haven't shopped hoods yet but I think it has to be under 300 or 400 cfm otherwise you have to supplement the air in the house some how per code. 

@pgar171 I just ran the color option idea by the budget committee she gave a firm no. 

@Lowcountrygamecock you can get either propane or natural gas models. We will be on propane.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited August 2020
    Oh yeah, I have one. And it's the nicest range I've ever seen. I've been putting it to work for over a year now. I stop cooking and turn to my wife at least once a week to tell her how much I love that thing. The wok conversion is literally just taking the grate off.  I'll post pics.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    My Mom has a lot of viking equipment. My brother went all wolf. and my grandparents have some super nice german thing and they are all jealous of my bluestar.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2020
    Pardon my ignorance here.  Are these natural gas units or propane?  I would LOVE something like that in my house but we don't have natural gas.  Only option would be propane.  Right now I'm running my gas grill, blackstone, gas logs and soon to be firepit off of a 100 gallon propane tank.  I'm afraid if I add much more I'll have to bury a 500 gallon tank.  
    I had mine converted to propane and it's working GREAT! I run 2 instant water heaters, my gas fireplace, a gas firepit and my bluestar off a 100gal tank and it's only getting filled 2-3 times a year with 40-50 gallons per fill. And I cook A LOT. 
  • ohh yeah that is Awesome @Thatgrimguy!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Pardon my ignorance here.  Are these natural gas units or propane?  I would LOVE something like that in my house but we don't have natural gas.  Only option would be propane.  Right now I'm running my gas grill, blackstone, gas logs and soon to be firepit off of a 100 gallon propane tank.  I'm afraid if I add much more I'll have to bury a 500 gallon tank.  
    I had mine converted to propane and it's working GREAT! I run 2 instant water heaters, my gas fireplace, a gas firepit and my bluestar off a 100gal tank and it's only getting filled 2-3 times a year with 40-50 gallons per fill. And I cook A LOT. 
    That's great information.  I replaced my water heater a few years ago and didn't even think about going the instant route.  Would have been easy too.  My water heater backs up against the gas line to my blackstone.  Hopefully what I have will last years but next time around it will get replaced by gas.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Thatgrimguy wish I could like a post 1000x.  That range and kitchen is a work of art!  Thank you for sharing.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    womaus said:

Here's my exhaust. 7", going out horizontally about 20'. Yeah, I know. But if I put it through the roof I'd risk ice dams. 
    Doing that (self installation) in mid summer was a treat. Had to get up in the space early in the morning, by noon it was an inferno.

Did you tape the joints?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Thatgrimguy
    The unsung hero is definitely the vent fan. Get the absolute most you can afford. You won't regret it, and without it you won't get full use of your range.