Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tyler Florence Ultimate BBQ chicken question

Options
Anyone made this before? Trying it today but the sauce recipe is a little unclear. You tie bacon around a bundle of thyme. Render the bacon, but after that do you remove it from the sauce after the 20 minute cook or chop it up and add back to the sauce?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tyler Florence... that's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. 

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Wrap the bacon around the bunch of thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme and cook slowly 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Once the sauce is done cooking, remove about 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and reserve for serving along side the chicken at the table. The rest of the barbecue sauce will be used for basing the legs.

My guess is it's just a flavoring and fat component for the baste. I would remove both the thyme and rendered bacon before using. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Yes sir! I was just looking for something different and found this. Thanks for the input.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. People on those shows and many who write cookbooks have to sell a little sizzle with the steak to get noticed. They have to drive new content every day/week on TV so they have to do things that may look out of the ordinary to a home cook. It seems fancy to wrap bacon around a sprig of thyme but it's probably more practical to put thyme and bacon in there and pull each one out when you want.

I seem to remember APL making rosemary sauce brushes "to layer flavors" and smashing steaks with a Louisville Slugger "to get more surface area to sear" in his last cookbook. That one really didn't catch on.

Not all that glitters is gold. Cook on and do it however sounds right to you.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Yes! I remember someone, possibly on here, commenting that APL could complicate boiling water😁 Cen-Tex, do you have a favorite chef and/or cookbook?

Ronald Reagan

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Yes! I remember someone, possibly on here, commenting that APL could complicate boiling water😁 Cen-Tex, do you have a favorite chef and/or cookbook?

I follow a few people. I like David Chang, Samin Nosrat, a little Rick Bayless, and a lot of Kenji. I have all of their cookbooks. If I had to own only one cookbook it would be Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat. It's way more of a "how to cook" than a "what to cook" kind of book. There are recipes but I think I've only tried one or 2. I use her techniques in everything I do though so it's the one book that I use every day (even though I only read it once in an afternoon a few years ago).

Edit to add- If I could only have 2 cookbooks it would be The Food Lab By Kenji and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• SonVolt
    edited July 2020
    Options

I seem to remember APL making rosemary sauce brushes "to layer flavors" and smashing steaks with a Louisville Slugger "to get more surface area to sear" in his last cookbook. That one really didn't catch on.

Smashing a rib roast with a Lousville Slugger is dumb as hell, but I'll fight you on the herb-brush.  B) That along with his basting and board-sauce techniques do make a big difference in layering flavors. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Smashing a rib roast with a Lousville Slugger is dumb as hell, but I'll fight you on the herb-brush.  B) That along with his basting and board-sauce techniques do make a big difference in layering flavors. 

I'm all about basting and the board sauce.. I haven't done a steak without board sauce in a long time.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Cen-Tex...do you have a standard “go to” board sauce?

Ronald Reagan

• SonVolt
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It's really just chopping up the ends of your used herb-brush, maybe adding a splash of the leftover baste and/or olive oil. Maybe some fresh squeezed lemon juice, maybe not... some chopped parsley. Then the meat's natural release of its juices mix in and transform the "board sauce" into something magical. I would highly recommend Adam Perry Lang's (APL) Serious BBQ (the one with the lamb chops on the cover) and Charred & Scruffed. Both have been transformative cookbooks on grilling for me, and I consider myself a competent home cook.