Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - An arboreal question - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
I bought this place 25 years ago, and there was a beautiful big ol' Birch tree in the backyard, shaded most of my lawn.  Either a wind storm, or a lightning strike, broke off a major upper limb quite a few years ago, and I had to climb halfway up and use a pole saw, and a lot of protein/fat/water, to cut the broken remnants off.  The whole tree died the next spring.

The tree remover, next spring, told me "No wonder it died, someone sawed off one of its limbs, up there!"  :angry:  He cut down the rest of the tree, and used a large, loud thingamabob to grind out most of the roots, which I filled in with soil (sand) and got my lawn, eventually, to grow over.  He missed one root, and now there's an 8" sapling growing out of my lawn, which I mowed around last Thursday.

My question is this: if you let a tree grow out of an old root, does it send down new, strong roots, or use the old root system, thereby weakening it?  I'd love to have another beautiful big ol' Birch tree shading my house, but if it's weak and blows onto my house, when I'm 70, I'm gonna be pissed.

Any advice?    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I’d see where it goes - I had a live oak take root in a planter box, and we just transplanted it to the yard, 8ft tall right now, about an inch in diameter at the base.  What the heck else do we have going on? Let’s watch trees grow. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Botch said:
    I bought this place 25 years ago, and there was a beautiful big ol' Birch tree in the backyard, shaded most of my lawn.  Either a wind storm, or a lightning strike, broke off a major upper limb quite a few years ago, and I had to climb halfway up and use a pole saw, and a lot of protein/fat/water, to cut the broken remnants off.  The whole tree died the next spring.

The tree remover, next spring, told me "No wonder it died, someone sawed off one of its limbs, up there!"  :angry:  He cut down the rest of the tree, and used a large, loud thingamabob to grind out most of the roots, which I filled in with soil (sand) and got my lawn, eventually, to grow over.  He missed one root, and now there's an 8" sapling growing out of my lawn, which I mowed around last Thursday.

My question is this: if you let a tree grow out of an old root, does it send down new, strong roots, or use the old root system, thereby weakening it?  I'd love to have another beautiful big ol' Birch tree shading my house, but if it's weak and blows onto my house, when I'm 70, I'm gonna be pissed.

Any advice?    
    It kind of depends on how close it is to the house as to the problems. I live in hurricane alley and don’t want anything higher than a bush in my yard. Two problems that I can think of come from roots spreading. First they can burrow under concrete driveways, house foundations, and sidewalks bucking them up and cracking them. Second they can infiltrate sewer lines looking for water and fertilizer. Both of these can be expensive. But only you can decide your risk level.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Botch said:

Any advice?    
    Well Sir...at you being 70 and that is a mere 8" which I assume you mean 8" in diameter and not 8" in circumference...and you didn't say how many years that has taken to get to be 8" whatever then my guess is you will be shaded by grass on your grave long before that birch provides much shade! Besides that a  birch is actually a soft  and weak wood. Another storm and it may be history as well!

BTW I have a red oak tree that I planted as an acorn the month we moved into this home 40 years ago in October. It is straight up, 6" in diameter when measured at a 5 foot height - leaves on up as it is trying to reach the sky, but shade? Not really.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    Water it, mulch it. I have planted trees that died and a green sprout popped up from the roots. They grow fast because of the established roots and eventually will grow new roots as needed.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.